Steering column design

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
This in regard to a '73 Plymouth Duster.

I loosened the steering column to get better access to the dash panel while replacing a speedo cable. On re-assy, I have some rub/interference between the column, specifically the lock ring, and the U-shaped cover that fits around the bottom of the column. Not a huge problem, just irritating.

Is the '73 column a collapsing/safety type design? The bolts that hold the column are spaced with some strange split nylon spacers/bushings. Not something that you are going to tighten with much OOoomph, and I didn't do that. The bolts fit into slots, maybe just to make the column easier to remove, maybe to allow movement in a crash scenario.

What is the purpose of the split nylon spacers? Can they be replaced with a simple nylon washer that has a slot cut into it?

The clearance issue I think can be resolved by changing the spacing, but I don't want to defeat some other safety design issue. This car lost all its number matching value decades ago, so that is not the issue. Just seems to reasonable to put it together reasonably right.

Thanks!

Yes, the factory nylon washers are designed to allow the column to slide down or collapse as your chest hits it. The inner shaft is two piece w nylon pins, and that lower mesh is also designed to collapse.

Here's the trick- the floor plate is supposed to be tightened last, after the dash bolts are tightened. This keeps the column from putting a side load on the rest of the steering. Loosen up the floor brackets and see if you can move it to stop your trim piece form interfering. The 73 Dodge FSM is closely the same as Plymouth in the steering section, you can look it up on MyMopar.com

Nothing 'floor plate' wise was loosened...if that matters to the question at hand. Are you saying that loosening the floor plate bolts will allow the steering column to be pivoted at the dash bracket, effectively moving the steering column down?

I have had cars with mysterious shims relocating the column down. Any chance you got some left-over parts. There is a torque spec for those special nuts.

Nope. I have no such parts. I did some quick looking on the web for inside steering column parts, didn't find any.

This bracket looks at least very much like the bracket in my car. Unfortunately, no hardware (those spacers) that goes WITH it.

OER Steering Column Dash Brackets 14928

Several restore outfits I've checked don't show them.

-
Back