Steering column disassembly question

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
Trying to break this thing down to get it cleaned up and painted.

The FSM says to bend the plastic backup switch "operating lever" and that it can't be re-used. So, either this is something I can go buy a replacement for and just haven't seen before, or is there a trick to get it out without ruining it? Or replace it with something else? I'm not ready to break it off just yet until I'm sure what comes next, and without pulling it off I don't know how it attaches, so obviously I can't figure it out for myself at this point :)

Anybody know?

The piece on a 1967 is nylon and is set with a nylon pin in its center, spreading out fingers into the column tube to hold it in place. Theoretically, pushing the centerpin all the way thru (if even possible) would release the fingers so it might be pried up. It's probably so brittle, that it will break when you apply any force to it.

I bought an NOS one for $25 on eBay a few years ago and couldn't get it installed with the column in the car. Good luck!

Ok that makes sense, thanks! I'll see what I can come up with for a solution..

A few owners have recreated that pin from metals. Reproductions in plastic may be out there. Good luck

I was thinking I might do that. Pulling it was easy enough, I drilled a small 1/16" pilot hole in the center pin, put a tiny screw in it and pulled it out with pliers. I was able to get the main piece out without damage but it is old a brittle so I'm not sure that I will try to use it again.

Now if I could just get that snap ring off at the top of the column, that one is tough.

-
Back