steering column disassembly?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got most of my 72 Demon column apart. It has the shifter. I am trying to get the outer tube housing that has the mesh out from the inner tube part. I do still have the lower top assembly half still in place. I removed three long screws that appeared to hold it to the column tube? Do I need to tap that upper lower half off the tube now?? My bottom has the lockout arm on it and it does not appear to come off, or am I wrong here too? Does it slide out the bottom or out the top? I don't see anymore screws holding anything?

Wording like "the upper lower" doesn't help. All I can tell you is the shift lever doesn't come off the lower end of the shift tube so that tube has to go out the bottom.

Wording like "the upper lower" doesn't help. All I can tell you is the shift lever doesn't come off the lower end of the shift tube so that tube has to go out the bottom.

I thought "upper lower" was going to be a problem!! So, it appears that the shift lever is welded to the shift tube. The only thing left up the top end is the lower 1/3 section of the cast housing. I removed three screws that appeared to hold that housing to the tube. Now what? Do I have to tap that upper housing off? I don't know how fragile that is and do not want to damage it?

I would need to refer to a factory service manual to be of more help. Having been at it so many years and into some many columns of every model... They're all the same but different to me.
In another's thread I stated there was a set screw accessible through a hole in the column bell. Someone else discounted that statement leaving me to think the set screw I recall must be in a GM/Ford/other, column.
We might assume there is a spline/rib like a square key that locates the tube OD to the casting ID and you simply need to tap downward on the shifter lever at lower end to persuade separation. We can be sure there is something of this nature attaching the 2 parts.
The service manual ( free download ) is always the best route. Good luck with it.

I would need to refer to a factory service manual to be of more help. Having been at it so many years and into some many columns of every model... They're all the same but different to me.
In another's thread I stated there was a set screw accessible through a hole in the column bell. Someone else discounted that statement leaving me to think the set screw I recall must be in a GM/Ford/other, column.
We might assume there is a spline/rib like a square key that locates the tube OD to the casting ID and you simply need to tap downward on the shifter lever at lower end to persuade separation. We can be sure there is something of this nature attaching the 2 parts.
The service manual ( free download ) is always the best route. Good luck with it.

Hey, your set screw theory was correct. There is a small set screw visible thru the hole in the shift lever housing. Loosened that, tap tap tap and off she comes. Last piece of the puzzle. Thank God. Now to remember how it goes back together. I did take some pictures. I do have a manual but it is one of those photocopied ones and the drawings are not always that clear. Hey thanks man. You have save my skin several times now. Must be a great mechanic. Thank You.....

-
Back