steering column firewall side.....

-

tarvin890

tarvin890
Reaction score
can someone tell me..... coming out of the firewall on a 70 dart, there is the metal tube that the steering shaft is inside.... can that outer metal lose about 3 inches to help my fenderwell header pipe from be so snug on it? I assume that being a low deck 400 that is causing the interference there. i can feel the pipe has been dinged to help ad clearance...but...anymore dong and its gonna get ugly... Im thinking the other fix may be to remove them and cut that area out and put either a smaller diameter in that area or put more of a curve upwards.... even better.... trim that steering outer tube back 3-4 inches.... any tips or thoughts? id take a pic but car is at chassis shop for a few weeks so its not here with me...:toothy1:

Yeah, way up there a C-notch would be fine. You could gain an easy 1/2 inch.
You could also drop the column down off the dash mount. Those studs are pretty long.Or shim the motor up. But I guess you already thought of those.

you have to look hard to see it but I cut mine back to the firewall and welded a washer on to it to help stabilize the shaft.

Attachments

• older Pictures 322.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 114
Yeah, way up there a C-notch would be fine. You could gain an easy 1/2 inch.
You could also drop the column down off the dash mount. Those studs are pretty long.Or shim the motor up. But I guess you already thought of those.

cant shim motor up... has motor plate. elephant ears whatever you want to call it... thanks for all the advice... thought maybe there was a bearing or something inside there... guess not..:cheers:

-
Back