Steering Column Gasket

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so how do I replace the gasket in the engine bay for the steering column? I am kinda tired of the hot breeze blowing. Second is there a poor mans temporary fix anyone can suggest? Is it difficult to replace the gasket?

Pull the column replace the gasket.
Not trying to be smart, but that's how it works.
Not really that hard to do.
What are you working on ?

65 Barracuda Is there anything special to keep the wheel aligned correctly? Any bolts or disassembly I need to be concerned with

65 Barracuda Is there anything special to keep the wheel aligned correctly? Any bolts or disassembly I need to be concerned with

Thats real easy. there is an electrical plug on the column that you need to un plug, 2 bolts on the dash bracket, 3 bolts on the firewall plate and the shaft coupler on the steering box. it will pull right out. I can't remember if the steering box splined shaft is keyed?

Thats real easy. there is an electrical plug on the column that you need to un plug, 2 bolts on the dash bracket, 3 bolts on the firewall plate and the shaft coupler on the steering box. it will pull right out. I can't remember if the steering box splined shaft is keyed?

Yes, the box and column are keyed.

When you take it apart, have the front wheels straight. Look on the steering box shaft, you will see how it is "keyed". Put it back the way you took it apart. You really cant make a mistake, it will only go back together one way.
You will see when you take it apart.

Gah that doesnt sound to bad. I checked Metro and they want 44.95 for the seal. Any suggestions for a lower price gasket?

Gah that doesnt sound to bad. I checked Metro and they want 44.95 for the seal. Any suggestions for a lower price gasket?

Are you talking about the round seal that seals the end of the steering column ?
If so, that is kind of the going rate for that dam thing. I know pricey.
If you are going to replace this seal, you must take off the coupler.
I would advize getting a coupler rebuild kit off E-bay. There cheap.

For the rest of the gaskets, the best thing to do is buy a complete firewall gasket set.

This is a pic of my 65 Dart, with new seal,gaskets,and the coupler rebuild kit.

Attachments

• 1965 Dart 025.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 142
  • 1965 Dart 026.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 157
Look up my post on my 65 Dart steering column ~1 month ago. Another guy contributed info on adding a bearing to the end of the column. Worked great and was inexpensive.

I know Johnny Dart said his 65 Dart is keyed, but mine isn't. I suggest you mark both sides first, just in case. I still have it out and looked over the splines carefully again. Strange, no key. Perhaps someone hammered it together at the wrong clocking, which cut splines in the shaft, however the steering box doesn't have a key gap.

-
Back