Steering column gets hot.

-
  • Speedometer, instrument cluster, brake light, high beam, oil pressure, turn signal (interior): #158
  • Heater and a/c control: #1892
  • Radio: #1893
  • Transmission gear indicator, ashtray light: #161
  • Reverse indicator (four-speed transmission): #53
  • Ignition light: #1445
  • Glove compartment: #1891
  • Dome light, trunk and underhood lights: #1004
  • Fasten seat belts, electric defroster switch: #1445
  • Headlights: #6014
  • Front turn signals, rear stop and turn signals: #1157
  • Backup lights: #1156
  • Rear license plate, fender-mounted turn signal indicators, side marker lights: #168
Do you know if the switch light is lit when the headlights aren't on? Other than the engine running, nothing else was turned on or running.

I'll fix the regulator attachment so there is no ground issue. That needs to be done anyway. Then I can check the column seal under the hood and check the connector at the base of the column. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I think it is I just pulled mine did not see why I really needed it, and it was the wrong bulb and almost burned my fingers one day taking the key out. Worth a look at least.

If it was electrical it should heat up just idling. I may have to try that.

Prob with the key on not sure never really noticed when it was on, door open?

On my way home from Farmington yesterday I noticed that the column shift bowl got pretty hot. I would say I couldn't hold my hand on it for longer than a minute. I think the only thing running through the switch is the ignition power which is a Pertronics unit and shouldn't take that much current. Anyone else experience this?

Yup, my 72 Dart 340 has been developing that very issue - thought it was an ignition switch issue when the key ignition lock cylinder started to randomly hesitate - causing a no start condition and the heat around the bowl was getting ridiculous. I dove in and yanked everything apart, left the key cylinder switch mounted, floated the plastic indicator turn switch and pot metal ignition switch - just dangling and flopping in the breeze below the bowl, stuck the steering wheel back on with the bolt, and drove it around for a half hour or so. (I had to remember what arm/hand sign was stop, left and right, lol.) The I.S. never heated up but the shaft coming up the tube was very warm, enough heat for the bowl to absorb and signal suspicion. Now I'm deciding how involved to get. Maybe just some insulation.

View attachment 1715740792

If it was electrical it should heat up just idling. I may have to try that.
Mike I would try just turning the key on with a cold engine and see if it heats up.
Dont even start the engine that should tell you if it is exhaust heat doing it?
Just spit balling

Mike I would try just turning the key on with a cold engine and see if it heats up.
Dont even start the engine that should tell you if it is exhaust heat doing it?
Just spit balling
Points, na, don't want to try that.

-
Back