Steering column help

-

dropshot1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, lookin for some help, i started replacing my steering coupler and the internals because i ve had slop in my steering for years, installed the coupler and parts on the steering column and tried to reinstall, lined up the main splines on the coupler and power steering box, still a major fight to get on, ended up taking coupler off the column , installed it on the gear first with help of a piece of wood and hammer through the hole under the dash, then tried installing it that way, another p.i.t.a.ended up collapsing my column now. So now i think i have to take the whole column apart and fix it. I watched some vids that made everything look so easy, not the case here. Anyone have any tricks or advice for once i get the column ready again, and anyone know what shaft measurement should be from end to end? Pls and thank you

Oh yeah..Mopar had a nylon shear pin replacement pack...HAD....never know now...I'm sure plenty replacement ones are still available

Yep, could probably just put some vise grips on end of shaft and knock it back out with hammer until you have proper length again.

I agree had the same be tonight, but I didnt collapse the column thankfully. It has to come back out to fix seal and retainer. I'm attempting to put the big spring clip on that holds the retainer/seal tight. That's the 2nd seal too lol.:elmer:

20220819_232621.jpg

Go to hamtramck registry, then library, 1970 tsb, chapter 19, repair procedure for energy absorbing columns. Using liquid plastic sounds reasonable.

Thanks, doing this by myself and I'm no further ahead than I was 4 days ago...:BangHead:
I removed column and installed coupler first, now trying to install column with shoes, seal and retainer on column with no luck. I thought I fd it up as there is mention of master spline, but I checked my coupler and there is no master spline on our 67.
Good luck, keep us posted.
I hope you have better luck than i did

I was wondering the same , do i even need to worry about those pins , once everyting is installed and the column is bolted back under the dash , were can it go
There is a procedure in the service manual for setting the shaft depth in the coupler. If the 2 sections are free to float, the lower section will drop to the bottom of the coupler........If that matters?

-
Back