Steering column install

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
70 Dart 340, manual steer, auto on the column. I took the column out to paint it and redo the dash. Everything is going back together well, except the steering column. I got it put back in and hand tightened the the three nuts that hold it to the dash. I have not installed the bolts to the firewall yet.

My issue is the coupler, I can't get it to slide over the steering box. See pic. What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_20150408_183738452.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 200
I think it has 1 "wide" groove among all the skinny ones. It has to line up to slide on fully. Not sure if you know this or not but that's one reason it won't go.

I think it has 1 "wide" groove among all the skinny ones. It has to line up to slide on fully. Not sure if you know this or not but that's one reason it won't go.

Thank you!! I forgot about that. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Should be a tiny notch cut in the edge of the box coupling. If all is right we would see that notch and the master spline in your pic.

I got it on last night. Thanks all for your help.

I centered the wheels and saw the "groove" on the box itself and also the "notch" on the coupling. I never noticed that before, guess I just got lucky last time I put it on.

Thanks again, love this place.:blob:

-
Back