Steering Column Misalignment with Steering Shaft?

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Hey all, my steering column seems to be squishing my lower column seal (one in the engine bay) on my 65, so I slid the seal down and the column isnt aligned correctly with the steering shaft (which goes into the steering box)
Is there a way to fix this without removing the column? I figured I could bend it up a little if need be...
Pretty hard to describe, but lets say the steering shaft going from the steering wheel all the way into the steering box down at the k-frame is at a 45 degree angle....the column end which extends out into the engine bay from the firewall is at a 40 degree angle so the lower column seal isnt perfectly centered...

Thanks in advance...i can provide pics if that would help

Yeah all the column mounting hardware is in oversized holes and can be moved around. If someone tried to center the column in the radius cut in the dash , there's your problem. Mopar never did get that just right.
Sometimes the column shifter linkage will need readjusted too .

I just remebered that the early As had issues with the steering gear mounting.
Make sure the gearbox is secure where its supposed to be before adjusting the column alignment.

Will do, I replaced the column shift with a floor shift so im betting its those holes in the column, but I will check the gearbox first
thanks all!!!
BTW, forgive my ignorance but what is the "column shifter linkage"

If you changed from column shift to floor shift , the column shift linkage is gone.

-
Back