Steering Column Pics

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
Just A Few Pics Of What I Have Been Doing Over The Last Couple Weeks. The First Pic Is Before. The Last Two Are After.

MVC-496S.JPG

MVC-499S.JPG

MVC-498S.JPG

Ya It Was. But Was Worth The Trouble. I Couldnt Stand Looking At Those Numbers Anymore.

That looks really good! No one would ever know...It's a 50/50 thing! I was going to do the same thing but my upper bearing was loose anyways. I ended up finding a 69 dart floor shift for 70.00, however it was from a PS unit and had to extend the shaft. Oh well, looks like were ready to go :thumbup:

Very nice work! It's good to see there's still a few of the real craftsmen left out there.

Its Not As Hard As It Looks. Ive Never Done Anything Like This Before. But Anyone Can This. It Just Takes Alot Of Patience.

Yeah, that could be said about alot of things. But like you said, it takes patience and attention to detail to do things like that right. That's the difference between a pro and an amateur - really knowing what you're doing and taking the time to get it right.

For Me It Is A Matter Of Using What You Have And Making It Work. The Good Thing Is It Didnt Cost Me A Dime, Had All The Supplies In The Garage. Now I Can Spend Money On Other Parts. Like The Twin Scoops Ive Been Looking For.
Thanks For Your Replies

after you cut the boss off (die grinder). cut a piece 0f thin gauge metal to fill the hole. dont try to weld with a welder. youll just ruin the part. use jb weld as a filler. when it dries you can use a file to knock it down, then sand by hand till smooth. you also have to fill the hole for the indicator needle on top of the column, but that isdone in the same manner. the jb weld is alot more durable than a body filler (youll see when you try to sand it). a few coats of good primer. a little sanding if needed your ready for paint. not as hard as it seems. i spent most of my time waiting for it jb weld and paint to cure. not the warmest weather here lately.

-
Back