Steering column question..***SOLVED***

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
How does the housing in the circle detach from the column tube itself?

Attachments

• SteeringColumn-1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 146
Is this a floor shift column? If so loosen the two nuts inside the upper collar where the signal switch goes. Once loose the upper housing will come off and then the lower collar will slip off the inner column tube.

Is this a floor shift column? If so loosen the two nuts inside the upper collar where the signal switch goes. Once loose the upper housing will come off and then the lower collar will slip off the inner column tube.

Thanks Scott...yes it is a floor shift column. I have the upper collar off already. The lower collar is stuck tight on the tube. I tried coaxing it lightly with a hammer, but no dice....won't move. I can't see any screws etc holding it on the tube itself.

There is for sure a set screw on the column shift columns but never saw one on a floor shift. Check out the top edge of the inner column tube to be sure it isn't flared out any. It should come off. What year is the column?

GOT IT!!!There was a set screw hiding amongst all the crud and stuff in there. Loosen that, rotate the housing about 20* to clear the outer tube, couple light taps, and VOILA!!!...SUCCESS! Thanks guys.

-
Back