Steering Column Rebuild Question

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Simple question: Can a manual steering shaft be installed in a steering column originally intended for power steering?

If you want details/back story, read below..... :happy1:

My car is originally a power steering column shift car. It has been converted to manual steering with the Firm Feel column adapter. Ultimately I want to use the Sanderson headers, which work with manual steering (assuming the slip joint is in the proper place). I have a manual steering column, but it is for a floor shift setup.

Originally I thought I wanted a floor shifter, but since this is not a race car, I decided not to waste my $$ on that part of the project. So now, to use the Sanderson Headers, I need to install the longer manual shaft in my existing power column.

simple answer yes...have done it several times

yes...the shafts are interchangeable...actually the simples thing to do is change out the bottom part only....

think about it.....

So just do the bottom part that "collapses" when in a front end collision?

Hmm...hadn't thought about that. I assumed the entire shaft would need to be replaced.

My ultimate goal is to get rid of the Firm Feel adapter, and have the slip joint down by the box where it belongs.

yes...the shafts are interchangeable...actually the simples thing to do is change out the bottom part only....

think about it.....

I dont believe the shafts will separate at the slip joint, at least on the few shafts I have swapped. One of which had collapesed so I was able to slide the shafts, just didnt seem like they would separate and I yanked on them hard to find out if it would slip out.

-
Back