steering column rebuild

-

oldguy

Reaction score
So I had to remove my steering column to install a new turn signal switch in my 63 Dart. Things went fine and I decided to paint everything before I put it back together. My problem is the section that contains the switch now turns wherever! lol What did I mess up? Does it have anything to do with the blind bolts and nuts? couldn't see where they attached to anything. Thanks for any help since I'm buffaloed at the moment.

I'm guessing the 63 is basically the same as the 69 (this is my Polara, C-Body)
If you look at the end of the main tube you can see a slot on either side (left/right in this picture)
2015-09-19_015.jpg

These are the bolts that hold the housing to the column, the SIDE of the head is what holds it together.
It can be a little tricky. put the bolts in loosely and with your third hand put it all together.
I found standing the column upright helped, a helper might make things easier.
2015-09-19_011.jpg

The go in the square pockets.
2015-09-19_014.jpg

Alan

I'm guessing the 63 is basically the same as the 69 (this is my Polara, C-Body)
If you look at the end of the main tube you can see a slot on either side (left/right in this picture)
View attachment 1715166235

These are the bolts that hold the housing to the column, the SIDE of the head is what holds it together.
It can be a little tricky. put the bolts in loosely and with your third hand put it all together.
I found standing the column upright helped, a helper might make things easier.
View attachment 1715166236

The go in the square pockets.
View attachment 1715166237

Alan

thanks I'll give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I did my 1964 Dart last year, the assembly is pretty much as Cuda Al has described, although if my memory serves, the die cast aluminium part that holds the blinker switch ALSO has a raised peg in one spot underneath which needs to locate in a cut out in the end of the tube to stop the whole lot rotating. THEN, install those square-headed bolts he described into the slots. Assemble all that, then that tapered shroud goes on last with 2 x self tapper screws. Definitely get a helper just to stand the column up whilst you assemble it, or wrap a towel around it and grab it gently in the vice. Not hard, just a bit fiddly...

{get a helper just to stand the column up whilst you , or wrap a towel around it and grab it gently . Not hard, just a bit fiddly...}

When I read this I started cracking up. Sounds like you get a lot of help from your wife.

HaHaHa! You better believe it! Lucky she likes cars! And an eight year old daughter is good for those dirty, hard to get at, worst-jobs-in-history kind of jobs... You know the ones: attach speedometer cable to rear of speedo, heater cable retainer clips, brushing out the boiler on my steam engine...

As I recall, when I rebuilt the columns in my 1964 & 65, it was like post 4. The bolt's square head fits into a square hole in the side of the straight tube, on each side. Look close and you will see that 1 side of the bolt head sticks out more, so use that. But don't rely on my memory, search for my post w/ many photos.

-
Back