Steering Column Wiring Issue

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
So I swaped a manual floor shift column into my car out of a 73 Model A Body. I swapped this into my 71 Demon and now I have a problem with when I turn the key on and try and turn the key it wont turn over. If I leave the key on and cross the solenoid next to the battery it will start. It will become rather inconvient to have to start my car this way all the time is I cant fix this. Does someone know if there is a different wire that needs to be moved or something along this lines. Here are a few pics of the only plugs. Also the single plug with the brown, green and violet wire has no where to plug into. Does someone know what the hell those wires are for and if they are for like a clutch lock out switch that isnt hooked up or if it is part of the ignition wiring.

Thanks
Jeff

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

The brown could be a clutch lock out,try grounding it.Hope this works.I grounded mine cause I was sick of having to push the clutch all the way to the board,short legs LOL

I Had The Same Problem With My Duster And Just Ran Two Wires Off The Solenoid To A 30 Amp Push To Start Button Mounted In The Lighter Hole In The Ash Tray And It Works Well For Me And Is Kinda Like A Theift Deterent.the Wiring On Early Dusters Have No Rhyme Or Reason. They Used All The Excess Wire From Earlier Cudas To Wire Them Up, They Can Be A Bear. You Might Try Getting A Wiring Diagram For The Car The Column Came From Atrace Each Wire To It's Prespective Ending. It Took Me Months, Go Slow Drink Light And When It Gets The Best Of You Back Off For A Day To Clear Your Mind. Hope This Helps.

So I swaped a manual floor shift column into my car out of a 73 Model A Body. I swapped this into my 71 Demon and now I have a problem with when I turn the key on and try and turn the key it wont turn over. If I leave the key on and cross the solenoid next to the battery it will start. It will become rather inconvient to have to start my car this way all the time is I cant fix this. Does someone know if there is a different wire that needs to be moved or something along this lines. Here are a few pics of the only plugs. Also the single plug with the brown, green and violet wire has no where to plug into. Does someone know what the hell those wires are for and if they are for like a clutch lock out switch that isnt hooked up or if it is part of the ignition wiring.

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

Not sure what the three-wire connector is for, but I know it comes from the turn signal switch (see attached pictures). Also, I cannot find this connector in either of my factory service manuals (1972 and 1973) for the Dart/Demon. I'll trace the connector to my turn signal switch today because it's bugging the crap out of me.

Now, on to the problem. I don't believe that your problem is associated with this connector. I believe that it's related to the ignition switch or wiring in the manual steering column. I can try and help, but you need to give me more background on the car. Was it originally an automatic column shift car? Did the car start with the old column? Did the manual shift column you swapped into the car work correctly in the car you swapped it from? Have you done any work with the any other wiring in the car?

The clutch safety (manual) and neutral start (auto trans) switches and their wiring do not go through the column. They both have dedicated circuit wiring and switches. Have you tried to ground starter relay pin labeled "G"? The "G" pin looks for a ground signal from the clutch safety switch or neutral switch to activate the relay. If it worked before, this is most likely not the problem, but easy to check. The most likely problem is in the column ignition switch or related wiring. If it starts with the key on and you short across the starter relay pins “B” and “S” then you are bypassing the ignition start circuit and wiring to the starter relay.

My assumption is that the car started with the old column. If it did, then I would try swapping the old ignition switch and wiring from your old column to your new column. Make sure all your connections are clean and solid.

!BdUoTrwCGk~$(KGrHqIH-DoEredQVy7SBK4,4Yi)!!~~_35.jpg

!BdUoWVw!2k~$(KGrHqEH-CsEreIW6p9eBK4,4jFWr!~~_35.jpg

I've had the same problem on two cars I converted (72 Swinger and 75 Duster) to floor shift columns. One I transfered the old switch and the other I installed a new switch. I never did figure out why they wouldn't start with the key. I used a push button starter switch in the lighter hole like DUSTERDOWNS did. I'm looking forward to you guys figuring out the answer, I sure couldn't.
Bob

-
Back