Steering Coupler and Headers

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I am sure I'm not the first guy who went to re-install his steering column and found that the steering coupler hits on one of the header tubes. Is there a fix for this other than denting in the tube on my very nice looking ceramic headers? Is there a replacement coupler that has been used or is there a better way to take care of this problem. This is in my 68 Barracuda with power steering. Take a look and see what I am dealing with, any help would be much appreciated.
Bob

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited:
With my Doug's I used a drop in B-Body Flaming River tilt column and cut the D shaft shorter to clear mine. Didn't want to dent or flex the headers or shim the motor mounts and/or steering box. The small universal cleared everything fine and the drop in incorporated a slider like the stock coupler. I didn't want to spend $700 on a solution but felt the other solutions we're not the best choice for me and I gained a tilt column, something I wanted anyway. Not sure if this is an option for your 66 either.

340 demon 72
was his thread

Well classic industry's has a flaming river steering gearbox coupler the I did with mine clears fine just have to know if u have 5/8 or 11/16 steering box had to cut and 1 1/2 inch off bottom of column

I had the same issue with my 69 Dart 360 and CPPA headers. I used the flaming river replacement coupler.

Ugh, not the u-joint argument again.

What kind of headers are those? If they're Doug's or TTI's, I'd suspect, as mentioned earlier, the possibility of a sacked motormount. You can possibly loosen the steering box and scoot it over but your alignment will need a do-over.

Can anyone post a picture of the flaming river coupler installed on their car? I would like to see what it looks like mounted. Those of you who have done this with your couplers, do they still need any modifications done to them or is it a direct fit. Roy if you could post a picture of yours it would be helpful.
Thanks
Bob

340 demon 72
had some really nice ones/cant find them

Can anyone post a picture of the flaming river coupler installed on their car? I would like to see what it looks like mounted. Those of you who have done this with your couplers, do they still need any modifications done to them or is it a direct fit. Roy if you could post a picture of yours it would be helpful.
Thanks
Bob
I can get a pic tomorrow.

Thanks
Bob
Here it is.

1C6C5C53-D26A-453B-B81A-2849E4782196.jpeg

A) Move the steering column. Plenty of adjustment there. Easy.
B) Move the engine. You'll need to shim the motor munts. Pretty simple. I made a spacer out of an old leaf spring shackle.
C) Install a smaller U-joint type coupler.
D) Dent the header.

I have a problem spending $1000 on a set of TTI's and then taking a hammer to them to make them fit? That is NOT a solution.

It was tight when we did Eddie's Dart, it looks like your steering shaft is harder into the header than his was...

We were able to get away with dimpling the header tube....

DSC04778.JPG

DSC04791.JPG

DSC04794.JPG

Speedway motors has them for half the price, had mine on for 2 years and thousands of miles.

$800 for headers (that I would never think of using a hammer on)on a upside down investment of LUV// and sweat a $100 coupler
take your bottles back:realcrazy:

:rofl:

Last edited:
With my Doug's I used a drop in B-Body Flaming River tilt column and cut the D shaft shorter to clear mine. Didn't want to dent or flex the headers or shim the motor mounts and/or steering box. The small universal cleared everything fine and the drop in incorporated a slider like the stock coupler. I didn't want to spend $700 on a solution but felt the other solutions we're not the best choice for me and I gained a tilt column, something I wanted anyway. Not sure if this is an option for your 66 either.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PICS WOULD BE GOOD !

Hey Bob pictures are at the top of the page, and Kim thanks for the tip but this is on the 1968 barracuda that I am building. I have purchased a Flaming River FR1506P coupler that has not arrived yet. Once I receive the coupler and get it installed if I still need some clearance I will take all of the above into consideration to fix the issue.
Thanks every one for the help.
Bob

-
Back