Steering Coupler Question?

-

dgc333

Reaction score
I have power steering in my Barracuda and I used to have manual. When I swapped to power I installed a power column I had picked up at a swap meet. My question is the power column coupler that attaches to the steering box is 3 3/4" long. The one on the manual box is 3" long.

Short of taking the column out it appears that both the manual and power box have a 3/4" diameter splined shaft and the splines count appears the same. My question is can anyone confirm this assumption?

The reason I ask is the new headers I installed come very close to the coupler and the shorter coupler would create quite a bit more clearance to the header. I can slide the whole column down in the mounts to make up the difference so the shorter length shouldn't present a problem connecting to the box.

splines on the power steering and manual steering are different...one is smaller then the other..dont remember off the top of my head..

I am gonna jack this thread and ask the question from a different perspective. I have a 68 fish with manual steering and a column shift column (but race floor shifter). I want to convert the car to a stock console shift and in the process lose the gear selection indicator on my column. I do have a 67 parts car coming which has the console but it also has power steering.

Can I cobble together the parts from both cars so I lose the column indicators while still using my manual stering box? Or do I need to find a column that is compatible with the manual box?

If I need to get a manual steering non-coulum shift column does anybody want to swap me one or sell me one?

I do need to be able to have the turn signals work as this car is going back onto the street.

-
Back