steering coupler

-

rockin440

Reaction score
Again thanks all in advance.I just got an adaptor,to go from powersteering to manual.It covers the length lost,but the shaft at the column to the adaptor is smaller.Do I need to get a different,coupler???And would anyone know where a poor man,can get one.Walt....

the car is a 74 went from power to manual.I went ahead and took the coupler off,and it is definately smaller.Can I just have the machine shop drill it out,and weld the adapter to the coupler?

rockin440 said:
the car is a 74 went from power to manual.I went ahead and took the coupler off,and it is definately smaller.Can I just have the machine shop drill it out,and weld the adapter to the coupler?

It's what I would end up doing, however I'm not sure if you have another option. Firstly if your cars a 74....Did you "order" this adapter by year, if theres such a differance in the shaft size? Perhaps you can exchange it for the correct dia. If exchanging is not an option I believe you can redrill and weld. Just ensure you don't weld too far up the coupling shaft because you don't what the column's sliding blocks to bottom out inside the coupling when you put it together. So I take it your new adapter fits onto the steering box shaft end..that it's OK? If so, maybe now if you don't want to weld you require a different coupler that matches your adapter.. :scratch: or if it's not one thing, it's another. been there! :angry4:

Thanks 69,i bought this adaptor off here,I'm just gonna go ahead and redrill.Thanks for your input,and have a safe weekend.... :headbang:

-
Back