steering coupler

-

74duster

Reaction score
I have the roll pin removed, but can't get the coupler to separate from the steering box shaft. Is there a trick to doing this without damaging the steering box?](*,)

Thanks for the info. Once I got the roll pin out, I used a pickle fork with a four foot cheater bar and got the coupler to move about 3/8 of an inch. Now it won't move, and the pickle fork is beginning to flatten the splines on the shaft. I guess I'll just keep soaking it and beating on it, it has to give up sooner or later. I just hope I'm not killing my steering box in the process.

I used to do all of the coupler separation under the hood. Now I pop the pin out, disconnect the steering column, and pull it straight off from the inside. There's more room to work inside the car and it's a lot harder to screw up the steering box. If the coupler comes apart, it needed to be overhauled anyway.

Finally got the coupler removed. Once it moved a little, I soaked it overnight with PB Blaster, and then shoved it back to its original position. Then it was just a matter of working it back and forth until it came off.
Thanks for the ideas!:toothy10:

-
Back