steering gear ?

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
Hey Fabo:) I'm in need of help with a steering question. I have a 72 dart that I've been rebuilding to the large bolt pattern front end. I have PST tubular uppers with large bolt pattern upper & lower ball joints. I put in a 67-72 manual steering box. My question is, can I use a 72 center link, 72 pitman arm & idler arm with the 73 lower big ball joints? Any and all help is always greatly appreciated!:) Thank you in advance:)

"Here's the deal" on steering boxes / center links

You must match the idler, the pitman, and the center link. that is, the early setup "studs" pointed up with nuts on "top" and were reversed in the later ones. You can NOT mix these parts

Now, you must ALSO of course have a pitman that matches the spline on your steering box

Now the above mentioned parts are 'grouped.' That is, they have no real effect on other parts in the front end. I had a manual box, early center link with 73/ 74 spool K in my 67. When (if) it goes back together after paint, it will have a LATE center link / idler / pitman, with a power box. No other changes.

See, here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=236925

and here

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/techindex.shtml

The steering linkage really doesn't care which lower ball joints you have. Use 68-72 center link, pitman arm and idler arm with a 68-72 K-member.

Also, it was the upper ball joint that got bigger for 73-up disk brakes. Unless your car originally had the 9" drums all lower ball joints were the same. And even if it did, the taper for the tie rod end is the same.

Good info.....
Do you guys know what the stock ratio is on the manual steering Box for a 69 Dart.
I am going to have mine rebuilt and I see that firmfeel offers a
24:1, 20:1, and 16:1.
Has anyone changed the ratio ?
How did you like it?

Stock manual ratio was 24:1. 16:1 was available as an option or part of the Formula S package but it was gone by 1970.

-
Back