Steering Gearbox help

-

dlistro1950

Reaction score
All,

I do not have an A body. However, I have a 1950 Ford Pickup that I have modified and installed a B body tortion bar front end. The truck has a g-3643311 With a R-25 embossed on it. It has a wide serpentine belt on a new Saginaw steering pump. I am finishing up a 10+ year restoration and I have some questions.

Q1 What cars would have a "R-25"?

Q2 What hose from the pump goes where. What's in and out on the pump and the gbox?

Q3 When I started the motor within a few minutes it looked like my garden hose sprung a pinhole leak. The gbox was squirting a stream of power steering fluid over 15 feet. I'm assuming when I pull the pump I'll need gaskets o rings etc. Where do I get the repair parts?

Thank you for any help you might be able to supply

Thank you,

Dick

IDK what R25 is.
I run Dextron III in all my Saginaws.
I tried Ford ATF once, in a Federal Pump I think it was. I know I had a bad experience with that but I don't recall what it exactly was, I mean that was like 4 or 5 decades ago.

On the pump the hi-pressure line screws into a fitting at the bottom.
On the Steering box, again, the Mopar box has a fitting to receive the Pressure line.
In both cases, the low pressure line goes on hose barbs secured by clamps.

Before you pull the box, find out where the leak is coming from.
If it's the control valve, the box can stay mounted.
If it's the sector shaft at the bottom, taking the box out almost never makes it any easier.
If it's up around the coupler, it's usually easier to pull the column.

If you decide to take the box down for a rebuild, you can buy the Reaction springs separately in a kit; and I suggest to add two. This will reduce the steering assist and make it feel more like a fast-ratio manual box, with just enough assist for parallel parking. Don't be afraid to open that box up, it ain't that complicated.
The most complicated part is resetting the control valve to a position that eliminates self steering. But even that is just a matter of tapping it back or forth, lol.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I removed the relief valve and found that one (the larger o ring) of the o rings is missing. Couldn't do it without you guys

R-25 was imbossed on the gbox housing right under the Pn G-3643311

Dick

-
Back