steering issue

-
Reaction score
Have I missed anything?

I think I blew up my power steering gearbox on my 67 Cuda, it was leaking, it had play and I had to drive on it, no money to replace. so on my drive home the other night the column started making noise when I turned and suddenly it developed a set in concrete no turning lock situation as I pulled into the driveway. I jacked the front end off the ground pulled the steering wheel off to check for anything rubbing/ binding and tried to turn the wheels and they wouldn't move took me really wrenching them to turn left and right with noise but then it puked fluid and started to turn left and right again.

I don't suppose anyone needs to advise that you don't drive it again until that thing is replaced.

in response to 1968FormulaS340's question

"Is this power steering? Are you saying you ran the pump dry?"

Sorry I forgot to mention that Yes factory power steering car and no I didn't run the pump dry.

In response to RedFish's question

"and fluid spilled from where ?"

The gearbox leaks around the input where the column connects and usually leaves a puddle in a familiar location. but as everything is wet even the top of the power steering pump, it traveled down the K member to make its puddle.

In response to RedFish's question

"and fluid spilled from where ?"

The gearbox leaks around the input where the column connects and usually leaves a puddle in a familiar location. but as everything is wet even the top of the power steering pump, it traveled down the K member to make its puddle.

OK, There is a small shaft seal at the input shaft that could be replaced. This is the sort of repair that occurred at 5 to 10 years old. At 30 years old I'm going to bet turning that shaft will cause it to move in and outward and show a pretty well worn area under the seal. New seal wouldn't fix anything.
Your best plan is a reman'd gearbox. Even a used later model gearbox is going to be 1976 edition or earlier and some of those don't interchange easily.
Good luck with it.

OK, There is a small shaft seal at the input shaft that could be replaced. This is the sort of repair that occurred at 5 to 10 years old. At 30 years old I'm going to bet turning that shaft will cause it to move in and outward and show a pretty well worn area under the seal. New seal wouldn't fix anything.
Your best plan is a reman'd gearbox. Even a used later model gearbox is going to be 1976 edition or earlier and some of those don't interchange easily.
Good luck with it.

Thank you.

-
Back