Steering Link Reassembly

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am down to the final step in the process of installing my Firm Feel manual steering gear. I have the adapter which goes on the gearbox, and the “grease pot” Steering Link, which attaches to the column. I’m thinking of installing the adapter first on the Gearbox, and then installing the pot on the column and finally connecting the pot to the adapter.

Any suggestions as to the order of install?

Also I’ve seen suggestions for driving the roll pins in using grease and grinding the pin circumference a little. Any advice?

BC6D8C09-94FA-4217-A55F-0D68362F7661.jpeg

I would mate the coupler / adapter, install that pair to the column, and then the column to the box. I used to block the column up with pillows to get it "rough" position, then go into the engine bay and coax it together

Carefully align the master splines so you know where they are and don't have to fight them. Be careful you do not get the coupler assembled 1/2 turn off or the wheel will be upside down

I would also START by test fitting the aftermarket adapter to the box and make sure it actually fits without heavy equipment!!!

I would mate the coupler / adapter, install that pair to the column, and then the column to the box. I used to block the column up with pillows to get it "rough" position, then go into the engine bay and coax it together

Carefully align the master splines so you know where they are and don't have to fight them. Be careful you do not get the coupler assembled 1/2 turn off or the wheel will be upside down
I would also START by test fitting the aftermarket adapter to the box and make sure it actually fits without heavy equipment!!!

Amazingly the aftermarket adapter slides onto the splines easily. When I test fit the coupler to the adapter they attach with the “master spline” and the position is good. I figured out that the steering wheel has been on “upside down” since 1976.

If you install on column with it out you can punch the dust cover tabs nicely. The other way not so much.

-
Back