Steering Play

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Not sure where the issue is and whether or not my steering box needs a rebuild but here goes.

Power Steering 65 Barracuda.

At nominal speeds below 30-40mph everything seems okay. There is a slight amount of play maybe 2-3 inches from center in either direction. Once I get to 50+ the steering seems to turn overly sensitive. What I mean is any movement in the steering wheel causes the car to react. After a certain speed which I don't know where it seems to calm back down.

What I am wondering is if there is anything I can do to alleviate this? Also would a rebuild help and if so does anybody have instructions and or link for a rebuild kit?

I got it aligned probably a year ago. The alignment was done because I had the tie rod ends and sleeves replaced just prior. While in alignment they replaced the passenger ball joint.

I got it aligned probably a year ago. The alignment was done because I had the tie rod ends and sleeves replaced just prior. While in alignment they replaced the passenger ball joint.

I'd recommend installing the Moog offset upper control arm bushings and getting it realigned to YOUR specs, not the factory numbers. You didn't say what tires you're running but "modern" radial tires are far different than the skinny 13" or 14" tires your car was built with. You should be able to remove some of the steering looseness by tightening two adjustments in the steering box. (I'm running manual steering so I'm making an assumption the PS box has similar adjustments) If the alignment guy didn't make any comments about other bad parts, the pitman, and idler should be OK but that's easy to check out.

With 2 deg positive caster, 1/2-1 degree negative camber and about 1/16" toe-in, my car tracks like a freight train with no hands on the steering wheel. The positive caster really adds stability and you need the offset bushings to get there.

I

I'd recommend installing the Moog offset upper control arm bushings and getting it realigned to YOUR specs, not the factory numbers. You didn't say what tires you're running but "modern" radial tires are far different than the skinny 13" or 14" tires your car was built with. You should be able to remove some of the steering looseness by tightening two adjustments in the steering box. (I'm running manual steering so I'm making an assumption the PS box has similar adjustments) If the alignment guy didn't make any comments about other bad parts, the pitman, and idler should be OK but that's easy to check out.

With 2 deg positive caster, 1/2-1 degree negative camber and about 1/16" toe-in, my car tracks like a freight train with no hands on the steering wheel. The positive caster really adds stability and you need the offset bushings to get there.

I

I am running modern radial 13" tires. I do not have the size in front of me right now. Ok so let me work through the front suspension if I miss anything let me know?

Steering box goes to the pitman arm. pitman are connects to steering linkage. Steering linkage connects to tie rods. tie rods to ball joints. All of these components have bushings. So if I see any play in any of those components the bushing is bad? I am thinking a full polygraphite bushing set. I was considering it any way. I am trying to stiffen everything in the suspension.

Check all your steering components and then get an alignment. A bad or loose idler arm will cause that problem. What does the tire wear look like? Unless you know exactly what you're doing, I wouldn't mess with adjusting the power steering gear.

I would have someone turn the wheel side to side and get under it and look for anything loose or having too much play, including the boxes mounting bolts. When I first got my '64 the idler was loose and the box was rocking side to side. Also put a jack under it and feel for any rocking up, down, and side to side on the wheels. If you don't see anything then take it in.

-
Back