Steering position Lock to Lock

-

MrMopar

Reaction score
What would be the solution to the problem of having a different number of turns from centre to right and left? I have more turns from centre to the right than I do from centre to left and I notice the car doesn't turn as sharp that direction for obvious reasons. Isn't the pitman arm splined so that it can only go on one way? I was sure that it was. I had an alignment done and the shop didn't notice the difference either, no credit to them. Maybe this is a simple question but how could this have happened.
The car is a 72 Dart Swinger with power steering, Auto floor shift.

Did I just ask a real dumb question or does nobody have an answer, I can't see why the wheels are straight ahead and aligned but there are a different number of turns lock to lock.

I mean from centre each way, left and right, not lock to lock.

because they sent the wheels straight when the steering box wasnt centered.

With the steering box centered, the steering wheel should be removed and installed centered as well, then the toe set to specifications.

Your car was not aligned correctly or has not been aligned. Steering wheel/box needs to be centered and steering linkage needs to be reset correctly.

Probably the tie-rods are way off.

I can see that the wheels will be about a quarter turn off and pointing to the right when I straighten this out. My tie rods are gonna be waaaaaay off and so will my steering wheel. The pitman arm is splined so it can only go on one way so the other stuff has got to be way off. THANKS FOR YOUR RESONSES.

-
Back