Steering Problem -Need assistance

-

halfhemi

Original Member
Reaction score
So, I'm leaving my driveway today in my 72 Duster and I cannot turn all the way left. The wheel only travels to the left about 1 turn, then it stops, and of course it will max out to the right. I was looking at the pitman arm and it seems to be hitting my header on the drivers side; not allowing the wheel to turn over 1 revolution. I just drove 1200k last month with no problems, so I am stumped. Can the problem lie within the power steering gear? Please advise

Of course something else could have loosened up causing the header to drop in the path of the steering arm, but the area around the driver side motor mount would be my first point of interest. Lost or loose bolts, broken insulator, broken or cracked mounting boss, failed K frame weld, anything that would allow the engine to drop.

Get the car up on a drive on four post hoist to inspect it with everything at ride height post haste, that sucker sure doesn't sound drivable the way it is.

The problem is most likely not with the steering unless the box is loose on the k-frame ( which does happen ). Is it power steering?
Remember that when something moves even a little bit, it can translate into inches the farther away you get from the move.
How bad is it hitting?

There have been threads about the bisquit type motor supports crushing before. New reproduction supports loosing heigth in a short time.

Check that your headers haven't loosened / shifted ? Also, maybe your motor mounts have sandwiched some........1/2 inch here or there can make a big difference.

Well, after laying under the car for the last hour, closely examining every possible scenario, I'm still totally stumped. I used the Schumaker V8 conversion mounts(biscuit type) and they look fine. The engine isn't sitting lower, or more to one side, or tilted. I though that it could possibly be the header being hit as they hang low, but staring at the piping they look like there is absolutely no other place for them to go. They fit snuggly between my power steering gear and the starter. It's almost like the pitman arm was removed, turned a quarter turn, then tightened back in place. Of course I'm the only one that works on the Dust, so that is ruled out. Is there anything in the gear that could slip and then lock back into place and therefore change the whole steering dynamic?

-
Back