Steering pulls to the right

-

roadfury87

Reaction score
i have a 1974 plymouth scamp that likes to pull to the right brakes are fine and its not the powersteering pump asi it is bran new it has to be the box how can i adjust this

all the time as soon as it fires up it imediatly pulls to the right when i bought the car it had a bad power steering pump which i replaced some people not from theses forums have tolb me you can adjust the steering havent found any info on how to do this properly

It's talking about reinstalling the valve body on the top of the steering box, but you'll get the idea.

from pages 19-10 and 19-12 (19-11 is a cut away drawing of the steering box) in the '76 factory service manual:

(15) Install two screws and tighten to 7 foot pounds to prohibit leakage during valve centering operation
(16) Connect high pressure and return hoses to the valve body.
(17) Start engine. If the unit is self steering, tap the valve up or down to correct.
(18) Turn steering wheel from stop to stop several times to expell air from the system. Refill reservoir as required.
Caution: Do not turn hard against ends of travel. This will generate high pressure and may blow out the "O" rings since the valve body screws have not been finally tighened.
(19) With steering wheel in straight ahead center position, start and stop the engine several times, tapping the valve body up or down as required intil there is no movement when the engine is started or stopped.
(20) The valve is now centered. Tighten the two screws attaching valve body to housing to 200 inch pounds.

Hope this helps.

Alignment, tires with different rolling resistance, even can be caused by one torsion bar being tighter than the other.

Self steering is a whole nother issue though, since the steering box itself is turning the wheels.
If you start your car with the front wheels off the ground and the wheels turn one way or the other, then that's what it is.

Sounds like an alignment problem to me?

-
Back