Steering shaft and new steering wheel help

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
66 dart, trying to get this Grant steering wheel (along with the install kit) to fit right.
My issue seems to be I need more steering shaft to come up so that the new steering wheel kit doesnt bottom out and hit my turn signal cam.

I just need 1/4in more to stick out. Is it possible to pull the shaft out a little more? Where is the screw for that??

this is a auto car.
ps. I just want the actual shaft to come out a little, not the entire housing.
Thanks

I think the shaft is pretty much fixed based on the snap rings holding it in place in the column. If that's not correct, I'm sure someone can set the record straight.

I'm guessing your adapter is not right, cuz there is nothing you can do about the shaft sticking out; it is mechanically anchored and fixed in it's location.
A picture would be nice.

the adapter is the only one that they make for my application. Fun part is that because it bottoms out and starts to hit the signal cam, if it touches the screw, then the horn goes. My work around is to use a bushing/pipe piece that sits on the shaft and stops the adapter from going too far. But this puts alot of pressure on the C retaining clip on the shaft itself, and also makes a weird scratchy sound every time I turn the wheel. Shame because I really like the smaller diameter wheel. steers much better than the original 16.5 2 spoke wheel.

steering shaft - 1.jpg

grant adapter - 1.jpg

Dude there is a bushing/collar that goes on first, like a crush sleeve. Cant tell if its on in the pic, but that can cause exactly the issue you're having if its not torqued.

the adapter is the only one that they make for my application. Fun part is that because it bottoms out and starts to hit the signal cam, if it touches the screw, then the horn goes. My work around is to use a bushing/pipe piece that sits on the shaft and stops the adapter from going too far. But this puts alot of pressure on the C retaining clip on the shaft itself, and also makes a weird scratchy sound every time I turn the wheel. Shame because I really like the smaller diameter wheel. steers much better than the original 16.5 2 spoke wheel.

View attachment 1715063373

View attachment 1715063374
I had the same issue in my 66 valiant. I just ground down the top of the screw to provide the clearance.

-
Back