Steering Shaft / Coupler Adjustment

-

Edfury426

Pentastar Powered!
Reaction score

I was getting ready to set my '67 Barracuda steering coupler adjustment as per service manual, the spec is 13/16" from Index hole in Steering Shaft to front of Steering Coupler. The problem I'm having is, my shaft is short and stubby, with no index hole. Has anyone seen this before?

There is also a spring loaded collar which just slips on shaft. There is no index hole beneath it.

I tried attaching pics but couldn't figure out how to do it :(

The yellow bars below the text box. "Upload photos" and follow the signs. If you get a message they won't load 9 times out of 10 they are too large and need to be reduced.

20210725_164443.jpg
The yellow bars below the text box. "Upload photos" and follow the signs. If you get a message they won't load 9 times out of 10 they are too large and need to be reduced.

I think I did it, (under "more options") thanks!

20210725_164243.jpg

Again, no index hole under spring loaded collar. It slips freely on shaft.

View attachment 1715772121

I think I did it, (under "more options") thanks!

View attachment 1715772122

Again, no index hole under spring loaded collar. It slips freely on shaft.
What I did do, inside car, under steering column, there is a mounting bracket with a nut in two locations and a bolt forward of them, 7/16" hex on plastic or nylon slotted inserts. I set column to middle of slots. Steering rotated freely. Not sure if there is a better way to know it's right?

That collar MIGHT be the lower shaft bearing????

I have never seen a spring or collar like that

Last edited:
The collar should be up against the outer column bottom holding the spring and lower bearing in place as shown in the manual. I bet the indexing hole’s under the collar.

The collar should be up against the outer column bottom holding the spring and lower bearing in place as shown in the manual. I bet the indexing hole’s under the collar.

You're right about that collar location '67dartgtgo, nice catch!

That explains the set screw on collar, but there is no index hole either under the collar or elsewhere. I cleaned all around that steering shaft and there is nothing!

You're right about that collar location '67dartgtgo, nice catch!

That explains the set screw on collar, but there is no index hole either under the collar or elsewhere. I cleaned all around that steering shaft and there is nothing!
It’s possible that the indexing hole is down inside the coupling if the shaft is bottomed out...due to the shaft pins possibly being broken allowing the inner shaft to slide down inside the coupling. I don’t believe it to be a big deal and mine has broken pins as well. I changed out my coupling some years ago to the u-joint type.

-
Back