Steering shaft cross pin removal ?

-

shadango

Reaction score
Ok...I give up.

Whats the trick in getting the cross pin (the one at the bottom of the steering shaft that goes inside the coupler) out of the shaft so I can replace it?

I was able to use a BFH and get it out to the point of one side being flush with the shaft...but then I am stuck.....tried a drift but keeps slipping off.......just cant get that mutha to move.

Rebuilding the coupler and the kit comes with a newcross pin.

Thanks guys.

Ok...I give up.

Whats the trick in getting the cross pin (the one at the bottom of the steering shaft that goes inside the coupler) out of the shaft so I can replace it?

I was able to use a BFH and get it out to the point of one side being flush with the shaft...but then I am stuck.....tried a drift but keeps slipping off.......just cant get that mutha to move.

Rebuilding the coupler and the kit comes with a newcross pin.

Thanks guys.
I drifted mine out with a punch no problem.Maybe Vise-grips will pinch it closed and wiggle out?Worth a try?

When I start beating on small parts with a big hammer I forget the workbench and vise. Too much bounce and mines a well built bench. I go to the cement floor with it , bad back and all. A drift just a tad smaller than the pin is required. A piece of steel underneath the shaft with a hole for the pin to go in helps too, along with a block of similar heigth under the other end.
You think getting it out is tough wait until you try centering the new one. If it's out a little more on one side it wont work. :(
I worked with guys who wouldn't change that pin unless it was severely worn.
Everyone I ever worked with knew to do as little damage to the original cap as possible when removing it, so to reuse it. Think bottle cap.
Like a bottle cap, crimping that new one onso it stays in place is a challenge without a special machine. Good luck.

Thanks guys....got the pin out after some cussing and knuckle bashing...LOL :cheers:

The new one actually went in easier......I *think* I have it centered ok......took a bunch of tried to get that, like you said.....

Still painting stuff for the reassemble....

...I sure do hope this all works and is nice and tight when I am done....LOL:toothy10:

-
Back