Steering shaft problem

-

Dk.03

Reaction score
Was taking apart steering column of 73 duster to replace the housing for the ignition lock cylinder. Went to put everything back together and trying to put the steering shaft into the couplet I noticed I’m missing like 2 inches and can’t put it back into the couplet. I don’t know how or what to do. Any ideas ?

You smacked it on the floor at some point and collapsed the column shaft. Yank it like you were 14 again...

When I got it, there was no Ps, it was setup as a drag car before I came along
Not sure I understand.

What steering box was in the car when you took it apart?

What steering box is in it now?

What does the build sheet say (if you have one)

The reason I asked...

Stock PS cars have a shorter steering shaft than a manual steering car. (By about 2 to 3 inches)

If you did not purposefully or accidentally collapse the shaft it might not be damaged.

The inner and outer shafts are supposed to be held together by plastic injected between the two parts when manufactured.

Once collapsed that plastic no longer keeps the shaft the length it was originally designed and manufactured.
The red circle shows the plastic lock missing (due to damage, being collapsed?)

Green is what it should look like, the dot of plastic may or may not fall out if the shaft has been collapsed.

Screenshot_20230917-075939.png

Is it a problem???

Many / most will say no problem.
I tend to agree BUT....

if the coupler top is not properly installed or in proper working order there is a chance (while small) that the shaft could walk up and pull the internals of the coupler out = no steering.

Screenshot_20230917-075532.png

The reason I say this is your shaft might be factory original and not collapsed.

In which case buying an adapter or a replacement shaft might be a safer option.

Screenshot_20230917-075310.png

It’s an automatic but doesn’t have power steering, the engine was swapped from a 340 to a 360, the shaft used to fit but now it doesn’t

the shaft used to fit but now it doesn’t
Then it sounds like it got compressed during the removal or rebuilding process.

Your choice whether to lengthen or replace

Then it sounds like it got compressed during the removal or rebuilding process.

Your choice whether to lengthen or replace
Probably just gonna lengthen I don’t no much about it, I just know I don’t wanna spend any money on it right now

If the two small dowel pins are in place, the coupler can't accidentally come apart. As D27D mentioned, if the coupler is in good complete condition, pull the shaft out to the proper length and don't worry about it.

the coupler should be good, I’m going to check it again, the shaft collapsed when I was hammering the ***** into the coupler, I didn’t know the shaft could collapse which is why I hammered it in the first place.

Not sure I understand.

What steering box was in the car when you took it apart?

What steering box is in it now?

What does the build sheet say (if you have one)

The reason I asked...

Stock PS cars have a shorter steering shaft than a manual steering car. (By about 2 to 3 inches)

If you did not purposefully or accidentally collapse the shaft it might not be damaged.

The inner and outer shafts are supposed to be held together by plastic injected between the two parts when manufactured.

Once collapsed that plastic no longer keeps the shaft the length it was originally designed and manufactured.
The red circle shows the plastic lock missing (due to damage, being collapsed?)

Green is what it should look like, the dot of plastic may or may not fall out if the shaft has been collapsed.

View attachment 1716142872

Is it a problem???

Many / most will say no problem.
I tend to agree BUT....

if the coupler top is not properly installed or in proper working order there is a chance (while small) that the shaft could walk up and pull the internals of the coupler out = no steering.

View attachment 1716142870

The reason I say this is your shaft might be factory original and not collapsed.

In which case buying an adapter or a replacement shaft might be a safer option.

View attachment 1716142869
I don’t know what much of anything you mentioned , when I got the car the steering shaft was inside the couple then I removed all the bolts inside the car which allowed me to pull it outta the coupler. I plan on taking the coupler off now and installing it onto the steering shaft correctly next weekend.

the coupler should be good, I’m going to check it again, the shaft collapsed when I was hammering the ***** into the coupler, I didn’t know the shaft could collapse which is why I hammered it in the first place
You did a bad bad thing!

:rofl:

But you are not the only one to have done something like that.

BTW. The shifter shaft has the same type plastic coupling. (column shift)

Try one of these..they are smaller for more header clearance ....36 spline - 3/4 round

20230829_171648.jpg

20230829_172026.jpg

-
Back