Steering shaft U-Joint question?

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thinking about Borgeson style u-joint on steering shaft at bottom of colunm.Would you weld it,pin it, or ? Thoughts......thanks

joint.jpg

I think he means for attachment to the column, that set screw is on the steering box splines. I would pin it (solid pin, not a roll pin), in case you ever need to disassemble the column in the future.

I think he means for attachment to the column, that set screw is on the steering box splines. I would pin it (solid pin, not a roll pin), in case you ever need to disassemble the column in the future.
Oh ya. Duh. Pin it for sure.

Just use the same diameter pin that is used in the pot coupler- the "steering shaft to shoe pin":
R.5faf8ff456b63fe68fe9e33477a02784

Last edited:
Non splined? I would put a tapered pin in it, small end at least 1/4” using a tapered reamer. That way it will not come out. I would not hesitate to put a few tack welds on it using a stainless rod cause it will weld dissimilar metals and not crack out. Make sure you peen the welds right after welding to stretch the weld as it cools and shrinks. Stainless rods are easy to weld with.

We welded both mine and my dad's on, I don't care for bolting it if it's a round style. Now if it's a double-D then bolting would be fine.

I would weld it. What are the chances that will EVER need to be removed? If so, just grind the weld off

I also use that joint, just welded it to my steering shaft

-
Back