steering wheel ID

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
Is there a clear way to tell difference from a stock 67 steering wheel vs. a '68 - (on a Barracuda). I'm looking at some new wheel and install kits and they seem to distinguish between 67 and 68 and I am not 100% what may be on the car now. thnx

i have been going thru the same problem. I emailed Forever Sharp Steering Wheels and the told me that the co6 adapter for 1967 Mopars is 3.75" wide and the co2 is 4" wide. I also needed the lower bearing for the steering column. After searching FABO I found a tread about using a bronze bushing to replace the bearing. Unfortunately, the link for the bushing in no longer any good. after searching for an hour I found the one which is now not available from Amazon, at least for now. It is a flanged bronze bushing that has an od. of 1 3/8' an id. of 1" and is 1 3/4" long and cost $4.87 and works perfectly after sanding and polishing the steering shaft. Other are available, I just did not want to pay $20+. The links are below.

Another cheap steering column lower bearing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG7JSSY/?tag=joeychgo-20

please explain a little - trying to see how this applies to my question..
what is co6 adapter? co2?

Last edited:
Sorry Dave, It doesn't, I was answering bbab3 about where to get the lower bushing, Once again I'm not paying attention.

Forever Sharp Steering makes steering wheel adapters The c06 adapter is for a '67 mopar. The c02 fits '68-'72. The spline count is supposedly the same. The '67 column housing behind the wheel has a diameter of 3 3/4". The diameter of the '68-'72 is 4". At least that is what I was told was the difference between the two adapters. My column in my Barracuda is defiantly a '67 and measures 3 3/4". The only adapters that I have found are the Grant and the Forever Steel Steering. The adapters from Forever Steel are by far superior. Grant is just plain junk. Hope this helps. Since my earlier post I have actually rebuilt my column! Now I just have decide on which brand wheel Momo, Ngr, or Sparco.

Vehicle Application Chart

Last edited:
Brian6pac, That bearing may be easier to use than the 1 3/4 long one that I used. I had to collapse the inner column tube and sleeved it to the bushing with a conduit joint. Kind of Gomered, but it works.

thanks for clearing that up. I can at least measure column when I pull wheel and have some degree of certainty which year it is - I'm only asking because I know I have a bit of a collection of parts from all three 2nd gen model years and it would not be a huge surprise if column was not a '68. Come to think of it though I put a new turn signal switch in there last year and think I ordered a '68 and it s as fine- maybe they are the same for '67s. I just want to be sure any after market wheel adapter kit provides for turn signal cancelling..

well I see YEAR ONE lists the stock 3 spoke steering wheel (just the wheel, no mounting hardware or horn contact pad) as the same for '67 through '69. I suppose the column dimensions can still be different requiring different adapters for '67 'and '68.

I have the same problem with my Barracuda. I have a '67 dash frame, a '68 gauges, a '70+ guage fascia. I actually was surprised that the column is a'67. It is confusing about what fits the column. I searched FABO threads and found no real answers. I figured since I am going to use the Forever Steel adapter they would be the best source for info. I have been shopping steering wheels and one thing I have found is be carful of who you by from. A lot of Chinese nock offs being sold as the real thing, especially on EBay. One other thing to consider when replacing the steering wheel is the dish, most newer wheels are only an 1 1/2", my factory is about 5".

Last edited:
OK so diameter of housing behind wheel on mine is 3.94" (calculated based on circumference of housing) - so just shy of 4" - close enough to call 4" and a '68?
trouble is I like on of the Grant wheels so will end up using their adapter I guess.

I just measured mine with caliper and it is 3.745". If you look at the plastic bushing in the picture there are slots, it is a '67. I believe that the '68 and up columns bushing are solid that is what confirmed that my column was a '67. The Forever Steel adapters use the 3 bolt pattern like the Grant. Sounds like your are currently driving the car. If so I would order both adapters and the wheel and possibly a spacer. The cost to return it may be worth it. If you looking to use the Grant Tuff wheel read the reviews on it, a lot of complaints about build quality. I was going to buy the leather one ($200) and changed my mind after reading the reviews and seeing the photos posted. I am still deciding on which Momo or Sparco wheel, which also cost about $200.

DSC02635.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the red section is the column tube. I would recommend contacting Grant to find out about the turn signal canceling. Forever Steel answered my questions about their adapters the same day by email. Nice looking wheel.

-
Back