Steering Wheel Question

-

stimpy29

Reaction score
I am in the process of fixing cracks on my rallye steering wheel for my 69 Barracuda. I know that there are restoration services out there, however the wheel isn't in too bad shape and I don't want to invest too much money in the restoration. The wheel is black and after I have filled in the cracks, I want to repaint it. Can anyone recommend a decent sprayable paint that will adhere to the wheel and look half decent?

Thanks for your help.

PPG has a vinyl additive that will make automotive paint stick to vinyl and plastic parts. The additive causes the paint to chemically bond with the plastic surface and remain flexible. Should be available at any automotive paint store. That's how we did steering wheels on all the cars that came through a restoration shop I worked at years ago. If you don't grind the cracks V-shaped before you fill them they'll be back.

Good question.
I'm wondering if there is a way to color match the filler (2 part epoxy I presume). Google search may shed some light on DIY steering wheel repair.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

PPG has a vinyl additive that will make automotive paint stick to vinyl and plastic parts. The additive causes the paint to chemically bond with the plastic surface and remain flexible.
Thanks for the info, I am going to look into that today. Hopefully Carquest will have something available.

Good question.
I'm wondering if there is a way to color match the filler (2 part epoxy I presume). Google search may shed some light on DIY steering wheel repair.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
RedFish, I tried mixing in some generic acrylic paint into the epoxy mix and it hardened well, but there were bubbles. I did it quickly so perhaps if I was a little more careful I could remove the bubbling. I decided to just go with the standard epoxy mix since I was planning on painting the whole wheel anyway.

While on the topic, does anyone know what the proper color of the wheel spokes is? Is it just a non-textured argent?

Thanks again for all of your advice.

UPDATE - This link: http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Steering/wheel.htm has some decent information for DIY repairs.

-
Back