steering wheel repair

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I searched some and found Eastwood has a kit available. Anyone use this from them? Trying to get some stuff done i can do while laid up. Any help in this would be most awsome:glasses7:

Have not tried Eastwood, I used epoxy, filler, primer and paint. After 6yrs has a hairline crack, not bad considering its on an old pickup with no power steering and cost $ 30.00

My buddy uses marine grade epoxy, prime then paint. Not sure what the difference is on the epoxies but i would a take a crack at it first if i were you. My wheel was done three years ago and still looks like the day i got it back.

My buddy uses marine grade epoxy, prime then paint. Not sure what the difference is on the epoxies but i would a take a crack at it first if i were you. My wheel was done three years ago and still looks like the day i got it back.
Thanks. Maybe i will try it with some epxoy first myself

did mine with umm ?C7 p7? epoxy and here's what it looked like.

original in pieces
View attachment 1714584456

in primer after epoxy repair
View attachment 1714584457

after painting
View attachment 1714584458
and in the car
View attachment 1714584459
total cost - paint = 17.00 for epoxy
total time 2 day's (waiting to dry mostly and sanding to shape)
paint another day or so.
yeah you can go faster . but make sure the epoxy is dry
:cheers:Dam fine job...........Looks great. Thanks

I ordered the kit from eastwood years ago, not that I am slamming Eastwood, but it was a book and PC7. I did find PC7 at a local ACE hardware, seems like it was $7 - $12 at ACE.

I ordered the kit from eastwood years ago, not that I am slamming Eastwood, but it was a book and PC7. I did find PC7 at a local ACE hardware, seems like it was $7 - $12 at ACE.

AHHHH pc7 THAT was the name of the epoxy. (THANKS CRS syndrome lately) Dries slow doesn't it? but make it really workable. Eastwood just relabels stuff and sells it under their name(with proper 100-200% markup of course.) that doesn't mean it a bad product just overpriced big time like year one.

:cheers:Dam fine job...........Looks great. Thanks
thanks
I was looking into an aftermarket wheel but after finishing it I just might keep it on there. looks ok even with the later model seats.

f I was to do another one I'd layer it on and take even longer to mold in the grooves and edges using plastic that was cut on the ends to fit in the original grooves. cutting them in with a dremel and cutoff wheel sucks!

I think POR 15 makes a steering wheel restore kit as well.

Snowing and cold today, so I will dig thru my stacks of books and magazines, and see if I can find the book that came with the kit. Don't hold your breath though, cause I'm thinking that was 20 years and 4 houses ago, but you never know I may find it.

Don't hold your breath though, cause I'm thinking that was 20 years and 4 houses ago,

That is where a lot of stuff I need seems to be located. We recently moved, and every time I need a tool not housed in the box, all I can conger up is its location at the old house, and sometimes the house previous to that place. Guess I’m getting old, I know I’m living in the past, driving old cars, listening to channel 6 on XM… Hell I have shoes older than half the folks on this web site. It’s sad, I know, but that is just the way it is around here. LOL

Oh, and another thing, where in hell do all those missing screw drivers end up?

Great everyone. Iff i feel up to it this week i will give it a go. Going nutz sittin around. NOT ALLOWED to do anything...BOSSES orders:banghead:

That is where a lot of stuff I need seems to be located. We recently moved, and every time I need a tool not housed in the box, all I can conger up is its location at the old house, and sometimes the house previous to that place. Guess I’m getting old, I know I’m living in the past, driving old cars, listening to channel 6 on XM… Hell I have shoes older than half the folks on this web site. It’s sad, I know, but that is just the way it is around here. LOL

Oh, and another thing, where in hell do all those missing screw drivers end up?
Somewhere in space is a black hole, filled with screwdrivers and 9/16 wrenchs.

-
Back