Steering wheel swap

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
I really didn't want to do this, but..........with the roll bar and the my seats being redone it's hard to get in the car. So I got a smaller one.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Me too, it took me awhile to find those. Now the orginal one was really ugly I think.

I like it i have to agree between the two pictures the new one looks much better it fits in with the rest of the interior and looks awesome. Justin

did you paint that? the colors match well

Actually I was on Grant's site and was looking for a steering wheel for the Ramcharger and seen that blue one. I sent the image to my wife and she like "Get it!". I'm like ok, but........I do like how it looks.

Lee

I found that Grant sold it and then found cheaper from Summit. Those also have a bunch of different Mopar horn buttons too.

Mine is a "Jet" brand. There are 1000s out there. Different bolt patterns and adapters for all. Problem with some brands is the horn button. Just a matter of time before you find those switch parts in the seat. LOL
Took me 3 days to re engineer their switch and add the OEM glass Plymouth center to it.
silverbmwshift-1.jpg

To shorten the signal switch wand and/or change its angle requires a torch and a grinder. Thats some super hard steel they used in that thing.

Have to agree with everyone.. that wheel looks great! Really sets of the interior. I think it's a great improvement of the stocker you had

Grant

Hi Lee,
your new wheel matches your interior nicely and looks terrific. I went with a more retro style wheel.

Interior.JPG

How do you find the manual steering with the smaller wheel and less leverage?

I haven't drove it, but I did run it back and forth and yes it was harder just as I figured it would be. But I got pizza cutters on the front so that helps too. That was another reason why I didn't want to change it too. Oh, well.

Lee

Hi Lee,
your new wheel matches your interior nicely and looks terrific. I went with a more retro style wheel.

Yours looks killer also. Who did you have chrome you adapter plate and the two top pieces of you column?

Lee

Any plans for the one you removed??
It looks better than the one on my 66 Cuda now.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get rid of it or not, if so I would like to just trade for what I need. At the moment I would like to find a tunnel ram intake for a small block to turn into a six pack tunnel ram, for future use. Or BB truck parts, but.............................I'm not in any hurry to get rid of it either.

Lee

Yours looks killer also. Who did you have chrome you adapter plate and the two top pieces of you column?

Lee

Hi Lee
Sure did, I liked the look of the Flaming Rivers column (I have there manual box) and had the extra parts salvaged from another column. I took the parts to a local chrome shop and they did it quick.

-
Back