Step by step total timing instructions

-

65valiantwin

Reaction score
Hi guys, im relatively new to this stuff and need some help. I helped my dad build a 360 stroker (408) before he passed away suddenly last year. He was the brains of the op and i need some help!

Im running 10:1 compression, rev n nator distributor/box, eddy 650 carb, 484 camshaft. Ive never set the timing on any vehicle and im on my own so i need in depth, step by step instructions on how to set total. Ive got it idling pretty good but just did that by sound. When i drive it, the engine starts bogging/backfiring around 2500 rpms, im thinking its bc i i don't have proper total timing as there are no duel delivery issues (6psi getting to carb)

Thanks all for help!

Have you run a compression test? DO that first and post up the numbers. We can come a LOT closer if you do. Otherwise our "guesses" will be WAY off.

Hi guys, im relatively new to this stuff and need some help. I helped my dad build a 360 stroker (408) before he passed away suddenly last year. He was the brains of the op and i need some help!

Im running 10:1 compression, rev n nator distributor/box, eddy 650 carb, 484 camshaft. Ive never set the timing on any vehicle and im on my own so i need in depth, step by step instructions on how to set total. Ive got it idling pretty good but just did that by sound. When i drive it, the engine starts bogging/backfiring around 2500 rpms, im thinking its bc i i don't have proper total timing as there are no duel delivery issues (6psi getting to carb)

Thanks all for help!

Here's what I want to know.
* What distributor? (Mfc, model, etc) Is the vacuum advance hooked up? and if so. to what port?
* automatic or stick ?

Some of this may change a bit for a stroker. But basically procedure for timing should be along these lines.

Set the initial or base timing.
In absence of other info, this is as a good as any for guidance.
Distributor starting point for a curve

What you're going to do here is use a timing light and a tachometer that is readable at low rpms.
Plug the vacuum source for the vacuum advance. A golf tee in the hose is my favorite method.
Get the timing set as low as the engine will idle when warm. Write down the rpm and the timing.
Turn the idle speed screw in until rpm comes up a little (50 or 100 rpm). Write down how much you turned it in, the rpm, the timing.
Do this again, but if timing has already started to advance you can turn it in for a 200 or 250 rpm increase. Again write down the same three things.
If it was me, I'd keep doing this to 3000 or 4000 rpm. That requires timing tape, a tach and so if you don't have that right now, that's OK.

Return the idle speed screw to the original setting. Idle speed and timing ought to be the same as when you started.

When you have the timing tape or dial back light, you can check timing at 2800 rpm and up.
You can follow the guidelines here - but depending on combustion efficiency, and upper rpm characteristics of the distributor, some adjustment (testing) will be needed.
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...mopar_performance_instruction-png.1715175314/

Once this is done, then vacuum advance can be addressed.

We don't have to know about a vacuum canister yet. Since he will have to disconnect it anyway to set timing, right now it's a moot point. Getting a cranking compression PSI reading will tell us more right now. Anything else is jumping the gun with guessing. At least with compression numbers, our guesses will be much closer.

We don't have to know about a vacuum canister yet. Since he will have to disconnect it anyway to set timing, right now it's a moot point. Getting a cranking compression PSI reading will tell us more right now. Anything else is jumping the gun with guessing. At least with compression numbers, our guesses will be much closer.
I agree. Since he said he was unfamiliar with timing procedures, I want to be sure he's making his timing measurements and driving tests with any vacuum advance removed from the picture.

I asked about it because I'd like to know the conditions when he had issues and whether its going to be in the later discussion or not.

-
Back