Sticking throttle cable

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I installed a brand new Carter YF 1 bbl on my slant 6. My gas pedal sticks when you first push it down.Get past the sticking point it works great. I thought maybe I damaged the cable somehow so I installed a new cable.Same issue with it sticking. It's hard to push at first push it harder and you feel it stick then after that point it is ok. So I held the carb open a little bit then my son stepped on the gas pedal it worked fine. It just sticks at first. With everything disconnect cable moves freely and the carb linkage move freely. I am lost it should be a simple fix . Anyone have any ideas ?

Are you sure the carburetor is idled correctly? If it's idled down too far, the throttle plates will stick closed and cause that. Also check to make sure the fast idle cam for the choke is on the lowest step.

Are you sure the carburetor is idled correctly? If it's idled down too far, the throttle plates will stick closed and cause that. Also check to make sure the fast idle cam for the choke is on the lowest step. The idle seems ok not to high or to low. Thought about idling it up and see if it does it but then the idle would be to high.

Check for any interference points- hoses or throttle return springs hitting the linkage (non stock springs with too short of an end loop is a common "snag"), choke rod that is disconnected and catching on the linkage, etc.

What are ya' working on? Had a similar issue on a '68 RR (IIRC). Found the rear of the pedal had a wear spot causing the hang up.

Ok I idled it up some like Rusty suggested. That did help. After that I put on a weaker return spring. So after idling it up and the spring replacement that fixed it.... Thank you everyone

-
Back