Sticking Wheel Cylinder

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
On a recent post I asked about drum brake lockup and got a few suggestions. This weekend it happened again. Driving around and stopping at red lights it seemed as though I could feel the front brakes locking up. I got it home and raised the front end. The Right side wheel would barely move and the left side was fine. I took off the drum and hub after fighting with it. I noticed that the wheel cylinder was out as in the plungers were pushing the brake shoes outwards. Could this be the culprit? The wheel cylinders are a little over a year old. Has anyone seen this happen. Also the backing plates are fine with no stepping. How does one know if the shoes are on backwards anyway. They were assembled the same way the old ones came off.

John B. 8)

...........The shoe with the shorter lining goes 2 the front............u could also have a bad brake hose..............kim..........

Pump the brakes and get that drum in the locked up or draging condition. Open the bleeder on back of that wheel cylinder. They do clog so you may need to screw it all the way out. Anyway... If fluid rushes out and the shoes return, the fluid line is suspect. If the shoes/ wheel cylinder doesn't react the wheel cylinder needs replaced.
The shoe with the shorter length of linning goes toward the front.

That type of either/or test is great to know about, Redfish. Way better than just replacing parts. You had similar good advice when I was trying to figure out my transmission noise. Thanks again.

-
Back