stinky super six?

-

jamesdart

Reaction score
alright i put the super six setup on the duster. it runs real good. has decent power for what it is. motor is all stock, with the exception of the super six, and gasket matched exhaust manifold with the outlet opened up and 2 1/2" full exhaust. i have the timing at 2* initial. it stinks at idle. idles smooth, but pretty stinky. i rebuilt the carb but to be honest i really dont remember much for internal adjustments or jets or what it had going on. last 2 tanks ive checked and im getting 17 mpg to the tank with 2.7 gears. combined highway and city driving. doesnt seem too bad but i think it should get better. all smog equipment for 74 is in place, and seems to be working. car runs good and drives good.

no, just when you set the timing with the vac. line unpluged from the dist. and plugged, set your timing to 8-10 deg. advanced then adjust your idle speed

James
Do you have to pass emissions? If not you should block off your EGR valve. It can cause this. Just flip it over clock wise and bolt it back on, or get the Mopar factory block off plate.
Frank

James
Do you have to pass emissions? If not you should block off your EGR valve. It can cause this. Just flip it over clock wise and bolt it back on, or get the Mopar factory block off plate.
Frank

Or get an EGR gasket and an electrical junction box cover at the hardware store. Trace the gasket on the box cover and cut out a piece to match and drill the mounting holes out. Sandwich the piece you cut out between the EGR valve and the manifold with 2 gaskets and you are there for less than 3 bucks. Been doing that to EGR valves since '74 and no problems yet.

no i dont have to pass emissions. i would just like it to run a little cleaner. i think id have to recurve the distributor to run 8-10 degrees initial. i had it at 5 it ran good but still smelled and i got some ping when id wind it out.

I had bad smelling exhaust, turned out to be bad gas, (long story, many items checked/replaced/modified).
I now only use the highest octane, and I stay away from no name gas stations.

James a recurve will really wake your old girl up. Do the EGR mod. Get rid of the OSAC valve and keep the charcoal canister. This will be the cleanest you can run.
Frank

James
The OSAC is the big hockey puck looking thing behind and to the left of the carb (Its about 4 inches across and 3 inches thick). It has/had 2 vacumn lines to it and some electrical connections.
You cant miss it so if you dont think its there it been removed all ready.
Frank

try 8-10 deg initial timing

agreed, dealing with 2 gasses (out of 5 here)

"stink" is from high H/C (hydrocarbons, read unburned fuel)
the other player here is C/O, (partially burned fuel).

however, C/O is the "tasteless, odorless, colorless" gas that kills you.
so back to H/C...

retarded timing + "more robust" intake config= "stink".

no cat. it just smells rich. yeah ive still got that round vaccum deal bolted to the head. all emissions crap is still there. i only kept it all when i did the 2 brl swap because it seemed to be functioning. i have played with the timing and didnt really notice any difference in the rich exhaust smell at idle. i know fender tag says 0* but when i first put it back together i cranked it up. and it was pinging pretty good, it seemed to like 5* except at wot out on the highway, it would start to ping. this motor is all atock except for the 1978 super six setup and big exhaust.

James
I would get with Duster Idiot - Rob over at slant forum and ask him what to recurve with. He will know right off the top of his head.
Frank

my buddy was driving behind me today and he said when i stepped on it, it blew out some brown/black smoke. can you change the jets on these carter tin tops? im kind of leaning towards a different carb, like a holley 2 brl.

thats what i wanted to know, if you cvould rejet these carbs. where can you get jets?

-
Back