Stock 2bbl air cleaner restrictive?

-

Tylinol

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've got a very mild 318 (~8.7CR with essentially a 340 cam, edelbrock performer manifold and carb) and I'm my stock '69 2bbl air cleaner that's had the base adapted to the 4bbl carb. This is a single snorkel intake, and I'm wondering if it's going to be too much of a restriction on my engine given how much smaller the opening is vs my carb. Should I cut some additional holes in the sides? The air cleaner is really beat up already so I fell no guilt about hacking it up further.

Find the area of the sum of the 4bbl venturies

Then the area of the opening of the snorkel

If snorkel area is larger, no restrictions

Even if it is smaller the pressure differences in the carb vs the snorkel might make it moot

Replace it. Small potatoes in cost.

Just Weld another Snorkel on there!

kjhkjh.jpg

1. Go out of town
  2. floor it between point A - B
  3. stop and return to point A
  4. remove air cleaner
  5. floor it AGAIN between point A - B
  6. Immediately post right here on FABO and you tell us if it was a restriction

Leave it alone and it will be nice and quiet while driving it normally. When you want to hot rod it just pull the wing nut and flip the lid upside down. Instant open air filter. Old hot rod trick.

Unless I did my math wrong, the snorkel has 4.23 sqin area and the venturies have the same on an AFB 4295S 273 4BBL

Kind of weird how that worked out.

On the 2bbl it is designed for the snorkel is 58% larger than the venturies.

So if there was any thought to the snorkel size to venturies size it looks like a second snorkel is in order.

Last edited:
-
Back