Stock 2bbl carb with new cam?

-

BlueDream

Aspiring Mopar enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Comp cam for my 318 and I need to know if it will work with my stock 2bbl carb. It's a 1968 230 horse 318 and the cam is a Comp Cams High Energy cam, it's the 268h.

http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/CL20-212-2/10002/-1?parentProductId=

I will be doing a carb swap down the road for sure but I was hoping I could run it with the 2bbl for now with the new cam. I've done body work and paint but this is my first time digging into a motor. Any help would be really appreciated, thanks! :grin:

It should work.

I ran a 2 bbl carb on a 318 with a 340 cam for a while until I upgraded to a 4bbl. The 268H is pretty close to that cam.

Go for it!

With headers and Flowmaster super 10's I think it'll sound pretty good and run well. Now I just have to get rid of those highway gears and that 7 1/4 rear end...

With headers and Flowmaster super 10's I think it'll sound pretty good and run well. Now I just have to get rid of those highway gears and that 7 1/4 rear end...

Kinda funny to have a nice rumble while running a 2bbl....

If you don't open the hood, you can convince people that it is a 4bbl.... LOL!

Kinda funny to have a nice rumble while running a 2bbl....

If you don't open the hood, you can convince people that it is a 4bbl.... LOL!

I don't plan on going for all out performance, so a rumblin 2bbl would make for a decent cruiser. It just needs to be able to spin the 295's out back and turn heads :glasses7:

I knew a guy in school. He had a Chevelle. '72-ish I think it was. The whole thing looked awesome until the eyes made it to the twp bbl. carb. It was a 2300 Holley. He could smoke the crap out of the tires. The car looked and ran great. He did what your about to do. Keep the hood down and they'll never know.

A jump in gear ratio in a inexpensive 8-1/4 with a sure grip in it will do nicely.
(4.10's!:happy6:\\:D/:-\" )

It will work, We normally run off the 2 front barrels of a 4 barrel. Might be a tad lean though.

There are classes of roundy rounders that run 2bbl carbs...and huge cams by comparison to that little 268. They're modified, but still 2bbls...in a nutshell, go for it if you can't swing the manifold and carb now, just understand you may need to find a way to up the jetting as 66fs alluded to...

Might be a tad lean though.

At least with a Rochester 2GC or Holley 2300, you can buy jets to dial it in. I know you can adjust the pump shot on a Carter BBD, but I can't recall reading about rejetting them...I'll look around.

X2 of what txstang84 said
My cousin runs a fully built 360 stock car with a two barrel, a two barrel will feel your engine the fuel and air it needs but be very restrictive doing it.

Thanks guys! I got Comp 901-16 springs, a true roller timing set, assembly lube, hooker headers, and an aluminum radiator in the mail today. The gasket set is backordered but will be here before too long. This weekend i'll start tinkering with the motor and I might even build a stand for it so I can break the cam in while the motor is out of the car. This motor won't be my permanent motor, I just need the 'teen to last through the rest of college until I can build a stroker motor. :tongue: If you guys are interested I could start a build thread on the car, I have a lot of pictures of the progress so far and some pictures of the car back in the day. I even found one picture when it had the original stripe on it, It was the stripe that started at the front and then went around the quarter window and over the top of the car. Haven't seen many Dart Sports on here, but if you all are interested in mine I can keep an updated build thread. And yes, with tons of pictures.

don't expect big numbers from the parts your putting on ,its a good start, the stock carb is only about 230cfm, so the cam change wont make more hp just move your power band up a little , the headers will help with hp/torque

Of course we'd be interested! Start your thread, and we'll watch.

Breaking the engine in on a stand-in my opinion-is a great idea as long as you have the means. No concern about catching the car on fire if something goes terribly awry, making adjustments to the carb/timing are much easier, complete visibility of the engine and all it's associated parts.

There are a few folks around here with Dart Sports...I just don't recall their screen names-use the search function, and you're sure to find some.

Again-by all means, take pictures, and update any thread you make-every one here likes to see how projects take shape and transform-even for little stuff...

don't expect big numbers from the parts your putting on ,its a good start, the stock carb is only about 230cfm, so the cam change wont make more hp just move your power band up a little , the headers will help with hp/torque[/QUOTE

The car will get a 4bbl eventually and when I get that done I want at least 200 hp to the wheels. Anything is a step up from what it has now though, the poor slant has extremely low compression in two cylinders, overheats sometimes, and if its above 85 or 90 degrees outside sometimes the car will suddenly die once I get to about 2,000 RPM. I'm psyched to finally have 8 cylinders and triple digit horsepower within my reach after years of dreaming. Even if its "just a 318" its a start! :cheers:

-
Back