stock 318 more torque?

-
sorry once again i am new to this just trying to know what i can do but to do the advance curve how do i find out what mine is currently at?

this should help

Attachments

• timing1.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 167
  • timing2.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 177
  • timing3.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 169
  • timing4.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 172
"Stock 318 more torque?" Is a little misleading 4bbl, headers and 340 cam doesn't make a stock 318, yes get what you got dial in first, but do you mean by more low end torque like off idle or just more over all power? If running highway gears more gear would help 3.23,3.55 or 3.91 more CR would help in the torque department, for more over power without losing or small gain down low your gonna need thin gasket and milled 302 heads for 9:1 CR and adding 1.88-1.60 with 3+ angle valve job with some pocket porting and gasket matching and a more modern cam that's designed with .904 lifter in mind like comp Xtreme energy line even the smallest XE250H has more lift than the 340 cam.

^^^^^YUP^^^^ I think without more serious work, IE better heads, ports, valves, more compression, you may well be at the limit for "build" on a stock platform. But you may be leaving a lot on the table with tune, jetting and timing.

Mine with 3.89 (Ford) gears, 28.5" tires runs about 32-3400 at 70. You have to be careful, because just a short romp and you are over 85mph.

This is a completely stock mid 70's long block, with headers, 340 -ish cam, and 650 Edelbrock

I guess its not all stock lol:newb: But i was wondering what kind of heads and cam i should get with the stock pistons. I've seen people saying that 360 heads make it a dog off the line and others say its great. So if you guys could give me any ideas that be great:prayer:
thanks
-chris

If your looking for a head swap your best bet would be either a set of EQ magnum heads drilled for the LA intake or better yet the Indy/RHS LA X heads. They have the Magnums closed chamber and use LA intake and shaft mounted rocker. Eitther head can later be used on a 340-360 without choking them.

Keep in mind everything you tweak will come with a trade off. Change the gears and it will be buzzy. Tweak the timing curve and depending on what you end up with you may have a car that is a bit finicky when it comes to gas. Need to think in overall package for the best results.

If your willing to do porting just mill about 0.035" off thin 0.021" gasket for 9:1 CR and port the **** out of the one you got there's a sticky thread on porting 318 heads or take about 0.060" off 360 to get 59cc and 0.021 gasket to get 9:1 CR. I know everyone says don't put 360 heads on a 318 and in the end I don't think it was the best route but my first hop up was my dads 318 76 D150 I threw on 360 heads and intake with a 340 cam with stock exhaust and at the same time my cousin put his dads factory 4 gear 340 duster back the road dropped in a smokey 318 short block with fully ported T/A heads,650 holley on a LD 340 intake, with a Crane Cam with spec's unknown that was sitting on his dad shelf and 3.91:1 gear both were pretty fast, I think the gain of HP through air flow out weighed the loss of power through loss of CR I believe milled and ported 318 heads or heavily milled 340/360 would have been better for both combos.

The problem with 302 heads is if he decides to build a bigger motor down the road the 302s wont flow enough. If he goes with the EQs or the Indy X he can use them on a 340-360 without choking it.

I looked at my distributor and it does not have a vaccuum advance it is an electric preset one. Also where would i be able to find a set of 302 swirl port heads?

I looked at my distributor and it does not have a vaccuum advance it is an electric preset one. Also where would i be able to find a set of 302 swirl port heads?

85 and up 318 have 302 which have 59cc closed chambers compared to 64cc for your open chamber heads which you would have to mill .025" off to equal but both flow about the same.

One thing about the 302 head swap that everyone usually recommends on its own with no other changes going from 318 open chambers to the closed chamber 302 is about .5 CR which is about at best 5-10hp on a 300hp 318.

The stock cast 4 barrel manifolds are very good. Our '87 318 with small valve 302 heads, an Ed Performer manifold, headers and 600cfm carb has a Comp Cams XE256H cam P/N 20-221-3. It idles very smoth has lots of torque down low and suprised the heck out of me on the top end. It is the largest they recommend for stock converter. When compared on thier computer program it's the largest for more torque than H.P. as you go bigger the H.P. goes up torque drops off dramatically.

-
Back