Stock 318 single barrel??

-

Viceroy125

Reaction score
Tonight I was working on my 1973 Plymouth Duster with a 318, originally this duster had a 225 slant six but the original owner blew up the engine do to the point they forgot the oil. So the owner had her sons put a 318(year of engine is own know) but we know it came out of another duster. Tonight I was looking at the carb set up and notice that I was running a single barrel carb. Is this stock? Like did Mopar make a V8 with a single barrel and why? Also, if it is stock how common is it for there to be a stock 318 with a stock single barrel carb??

Tonight I was working on my 1973 Plymouth Duster with a 318, originally this duster had a 225 slant six but the original owner blew up the engine do to the point they forgot the oil. So the owner had her sons put a 318(year of engine is own know) but we know it came out of another duster. Tonight I was looking at the carb set up and notice that I was running a single barrel carb. Is this stock? Like did Mopar make a V8 with a single barrel and why? Also, if it is stock how common is it for there to be a stock 318 with a stock single barrel carb??
my 73 has a 77 318 with a single throat 2 barrel carter. to my knowledge they did not put 4 barrels on early 318 production engines. i could be wrong but i have yet to see one.you could get a 4 barrel on the 273,340 and 360s.

Well after further investigation I beleive what's gone on is the original owner thought they could squeeze a couple extra mpg so they threw the single barrel carb from the slant six on to the 318. That's the only thing I can think of that would make since for that single barrel to be on.

my 73 has a 77 318 with a single throat 2 barrel carter. to my knowledge they did not put 4 barrels on early 318 production engines. i could be wrong but i have yet to see one.you could get a 4 barrel on the 273,340 and 360s.

late 70s cop cars had a 318 with a 360 4bbl intake, some poly motors came with a 4bbl or dual quads....but that's a completely different animal :D

late 70s cop cars had a 318 with a 360 4bbl intake, some poly motors came with a 4bbl or dual quads....but that's a completely different animal :D

funny thing , my 318 is a 67 not a 77, complete typo LOL . yes you are right about the later "cop" 318s and yes the polys are a whole nuther animal :D

Well after further investigation I beleive what's gone on is the original owner thought they could squeeze a couple extra mpg so they threw the single barrel carb from the slant six on to the 318. That's the only thing I can think of that would make since for that single barrel to be on.

i am guessing ,unless the slant had a 2 barrel, the carb is a carter single throat 2 barrel BBD. its easy to find out , look down the carb and open the throttle and chances are you will see 2 barrels.........

Attachments

• BBD.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 451
  • bbd1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 395
We had a 70 Dodge truck at work with a 318 and a single barrel carb. I bet thats what you have.

1 barrel has a 2 bolt base. The 2 barrel has a 4 bolt base. I bet you have a 2 barrel. They are small and look like a single. tmm

-
Back