Stock 4 barrel air cleaner-silenced

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first year for an LA318 4bbl. was 1978 which has quite a bit of smog stuff on it. Is that the one you're looking for?

maybe 340 orange air cleaner or a mopar performance un silenced one a old slant six top with aftermarket base

Well I guess I would have to go with the more common late seventies 318 cleaner, as these are more budget friendly. I will look for 273 or 340 ones just in case a deal comes up.
For the 1978+ units, I can just plug the ports I do not need since they have so much smog stuff on them. The car currently has an edelbrock 4 barrel carb, yet I would like to run the breather to the silenced air cleaner, rather than the current setup I have (unsilenced and open breather not going to anything).

Well I guess I would have to go with the more common late seventies 318 cleaner, as these are more budget friendly. I will look for 273 or 340 ones just in case a deal comes up.
For the 1978+ units, I can just plug the ports I do not need since they have so much smog stuff on them. The car currently has an edelbrock 4 barrel carb, yet I would like to run the breather to the silenced air cleaner, rather than the current setup I have (unsilenced and open breather not going to anything).
I have a single snorkle 71-2 4bbl air cleaner for a big block 4bbl if you want one with just a heat stove connection. I also have some late 70's ones. The ones with the least smog are the van or pickup types. Some of those might have hood clearence problems though as they are kinda tall. A lot of the car air cleaners were the lean burn ones which had a computer mounted on the side. If you remove the computer, it leaves a few good sized holes. I've sheet metaled over them but it's just one more thing to do if you want it fully enclosed. PM me with your shipping address and desires and I'll get you some delivered prices.
Thanks, Mark

Thanks mark, I will send you a PM.

What exactly is a heat stove?
It's a large hose connection that brings hot air up off the exhaust manifold and into the air cleaner when the enging is cold to help warm the engine up faster and improve driveability.
The heat riser does sorta the same thing....it's a flap in the exhaust manifold that blocks exhaust flow while the engine is cold and forces the exhaust gasses to flow back through a passage in the intake manifold under the carb. That flow is also needed for proper choke operation and also to keep the carb from icing up under some conditions. The flap is controlled by a bimetal spring that opens the flap once the spring gets hot enough which then allows the exhaust gasses to flow out the manifold normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back