Stock headbolts on Eddy heads

-

fst340rt

Reaction score
Hi all.I'll be installing a set of Eddy heads (#6077) on my 340 . I know that ARP headbolts are often recommended,but at this point I am leaning towards using stock headbolts with hardened washers . In fact I came across an article (MM September 2000) where Steve Dulcich installed a set of #6077 Eddy heads on a 318 using stock headbolts and hardened washers with no issues . I' ll appreciate your comments in order to make my decision. Thanks in advance.

Eddie heads ship with one bolt that is needed if you chose to run the stock head bolts. Make sure you have that one bolt and put it in the correct location as specified by the Edelbrock install instructions. If you look the heads up on Summit you can view the install instructions if you don't have them.

I think if you chase the threads in the block ,clean your bolts thoroughly, and install them with a little lube, you should be okay.

I would use new torque to yeild bolts to install on your heads.Since the block is cast iron,heads are alley,they expand at diferent rates and the bolts need to do the same.With stock bolts you will find it will start and run fine,until the leaks start happening due to loose heads bolts because they are expanding and contracting at a different rate of the block.The TY bolts are like a very high pressure spring that can stretch to a piont and keep enough pressure on the gasket at cold and hot temps,mrmopartech

You spent all that money on Edelbrock heads why reuse old worn head bolts..get yourself some new arp's...

stock bolts worked fine for me.i went with the arp in my 408 higher comp. build though.

You need flat ground washers under them to avoid galling the aluminum. Otherwise, the engine doesnt know what botl s are holding. I'd simply buy the ARPs myself. But you could use factory stuff.

-
Back