Stock high stall converter stall? 5.9 magnum

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
I see in the Dacco catolog there are low and high stall converters available. I have a 1987 904 lockup trans and converter and will be running it behind a 5.9 Magnum junkyard motor with a carb and air gap intake, recurved stock type distributor, 1 5/8 headers and a XE roller cam with 278/ 278 / 106 lobe seperation cam,that has 225degrees @.050 . lobes are 3344b Comp.
I would like input from anyone with experiance running a stock converter with a 5.9. I may chose to bracket race this setup and am not concerned about a great ET, just a consistant launch with 3.55 gears and 26 inch tall slicks, aprox 3200 race weight. The torque range of the cam is supposed to be from about 1800 rpm and up.
This is going to be a low budget deal, but at the low price of a replacement type converter, I would be willing to put one in, either in lockup or non lockup type by changing input shafts. What results have you had?

I'm not sure what high and low stall means?

The advertised tq and hp specs of a cam mean jack.. They are often inaccurate. Let's pretend that cam makes peak torque at 1800, which I highly doubt it does, you'd want a convertor that stalls at 2300rpm behind your combo.

I'm not sure what high and low stall means?

The advertised tq and hp specs of a cam mean jack.. They are often inaccurate. Let's pretend that cam makes peak torque at 1800, which I highly doubt it does, you'd want a convertor that stalls at 2300rpm behind your combo.
Chrysler had two different converters for the 904 (as well as the 727 in 10 3/4 cores) both in lockup, and non lockup form. One was tighter than the other. My goal is to run as tight of a converter as I can and be both consistent at the track and have a decent lockup at cruise, should I opt for a non lockup unit. Obviously the cam won't produce peak torque at 1800, but hopefully it will be making enough to pull cleanly and not fall on its face . The guy I bought it from sent along a cam read out, and it is spot on advertised specs.
Like I said, I know it will be giving up 60 ft for sure, and that is OK for what I want to do. I just want to find out how well the higher stall version might work for my application. I friend of mine runs a 340 converter behind a moderately built 440, and that works Very well, despite having a fairly long duration cam in it.

Last edited:
I ran my car with a stock 300hp crate magnum with a stock TQ lockup circuit plugged 12.70s
67 Dart 3200 lbs
904 lockup/ low gear set, TF-2 shift kit, 3.91, 27 tire
I then home ported heads, installed 234@050 lunati hyd roller, china airgap, and bought a Turbo Action S-800 10" tight converter. Drive 50 miles to track, run it and go home. Car ran 11.9 in good air @ sea level. I ran this with the lockup input shaft, approx 400 hp, over 300 passes no issues.

I ran my car with a stock 300hp crate magnum with a stock TQ lockup circuit plugged 12.70s
67 Dart 3200 lbs
904 lockup/ low gear set, TF-2 shift kit, 3.91, 27 tire
I then home ported heads, installed 234@050 lunati hyd roller, china airgap, and bought a Turbo Action S-800 10" tight converter. Drive 50 miles to track, run it and go home. Car ran 11.9 in good air @ sea level. I ran this with the lockup input shaft, approx 400 hp, over 300 passes no issues.
Thanks for the info. By the way, how did you plug the lockup circuit? I may just do that, since I have to pull the valve body anyway for an upgrade.

What's the stall on that convertor mderoy? Mine flashes to 3500. I highway and freeway drive it often with my GVOD.

I see in the Dacco catolog there are low and high stall converters available. I have a 1987 904 lockup trans and converter and will be running it behind a 5.9 Magnum junkyard motor with a carb and air gap intake, recurved stock type distributor, 1 5/8 headers and a XE roller cam with 278/ 278 / 106 lobe seperation cam,that has 225degrees @.050 . lobes are 3344b Comp.
I would like input from anyone with experiance running a stock converter with a 5.9. I may chose to bracket race this setup and am not concerned about a great ET, just a consistant launch with 3.55 gears and 26 inch tall slicks, aprox 3200 race weight. The torque range of the cam is supposed to be from about 1800 rpm and up.
This is going to be a low budget deal, but at the low price of a replacement type converter, I would be willing to put one in, either in lockup or non lockup type by changing input shafts. What results have you had?

>Firstly a 278 roller cam with 225@050 ? That is a slower rate of lift from seat/seat to 050, than a FTH; what's up with that? Did you select that on purpose? and to what end?
>Secondly, installed 4* advanced, that cam will drop your Dcr to 6.75@128psi starting from an 8.2Scr base. that means a soggy bottom end. About 1.5 points soggy. So you need a hi-stall,period;with that cam.
>Rocco;post#2,recommends 2300. Which with your combo seems reasonable.
However since your rpm will be about 3000@ 65 with 3.55s and those little rollers, I would suggest a 2800.
>I would ditch that cam in a heartbeat, if I could find faster ramps. I have seen roller-cams with acceleration-ramps in the 30s. Then you can go up a size as to 050, and make more power. Or stick with 225* and make enough torque to pull a much lower stall, like Rocco's 2300.
>If that 5.9 is closer to 9.0Scr; then the Dcr might come in at 7.39@144, now only about 8/10ths of a point low.
For that cam to be a ripper, the Scr would need to be up 10/1 for a Dcr of 8.2@165psi. The 2300 will work very nice with this.
But in any case, the lo-stalls are out.
>Rocco also said
The advertised tq and hp specs of a cam mean jack..
And I couldn't agree more.
When applied to the powerband,I cannot imagine why they bother to write this drivel. It is as good as meaningless.
>To my way of thinking, the "powerband" starts at the torque peak and ends at the power peak. It is usually about 1400 to 1600 rpm wide and varies little in the realm of street cams. Now where it starts is governed mostly by the intake duration, and where it ends is governed mostly by the heads. Inside that realm the amount of power is governed mostly by the heads and the cam's lift.
>The seat to seat, to 050, mostly governs the sogginess down low, and gives us a reference to select a stall. It would be best to not have any degrees down there at all, but alas that is not possible. The roller cams come pretty close; but not yours apparently.
> And finally,with those 3.55s and a A998 automatic, you have the potential to trap at 95mph=6640rpm at the top of second gear. This is well outside the 225*s comfort zone. But to trap in Drive will be 95=4580 well below the power peak, and just above the torque peak. Have you thought of this?
This 225*cam will like 3.23s,and an engine with a lot more compression.
Or the next size bigger cam, with a lot less seat to seat.
Warning Opinion coming!lol
> If I had this combo; the 8.2Scr 5.9 engine, in a 3200 chassis, with the A998 tranny, then I would be looking at a 228* roller cam with no more than about a 262 advertised.This is what I would be looking for; 262/270/106. I would install it 100*.The ICA would be 51*. The Dcr might come in at 7.2@139psi. I would run this with 3.23s and a 2800TC.
The 3.23s will get you 6400 at the top of second=95mph. The 2800 will get you enough torque for a little tire-spin off the line. That tranny has a 1-2 split of 56%. The 228* cam will power-peak at about 5200 or a tad higher with good heads and that 106LSA, lets say 5400 max. This will require, with that tranny a shift rpm of about 6400 to drop in at 6400x 56%=3600, which is well out of the engines powerband which doesn't start til about 5400less 1400=4000rpm.PHEW!,long sentence there. Anyway that is what I would do
If I had to keep the that 225* cam,the 3.55s and the A998, I would bump up the compression to at least 10/1.
If you have to shift into Drive before the trap, the car will slow down.

What's the stall on that convertor mderoy? Mine flashes to 3500. I highway and freeway drive it often with my GVOD.
With my 360 Magnum I was told by Paul (Turbo Action) 3200-3400. Car drove like Grandma's sedan until you hit the pedal. Normal 60' was 1.64 launching at 2000 rpm.

Good combo and you are smart to spend a little more for a converter.

With my 360 Magnum I was told by Paul (Turbo Action) 3200-3400. Car drove like Grandma's sedan until you hit the pedal. Normal 60' was 1.64 launching at 2000 rpm.

That's right about where I am. I can't bring it up that high on the foot brake though. I launch at about 1,200 or so. after that it pushes the car pretty bad. But off idle and nail it it snaps right to 3500. I've calculated the efficiency on that convertor and it's unreal.

That's right about where I am. I can't bring it up that high on the foot brake though. I launch at about 1,200 or so. after that it pushes the car pretty bad. But off idle and nail it it snaps right to 3500. I've calculated the efficiency on that convertor and it's unreal.
I agree. I'm very happy with it, it performs exactly like Paul from TA said it would. Best $600 I've spent upgrading the performance of my car IMO.

I appreciate ALL the input, but I think the point of my post is being missed some. I can shoot for the ultimate, but that is not what I am after. I got this cam on the cheap, and will run it. The Comp lobe master catalog shows 224 @ .050, 276 adv duration, and for what I spent, is well in budget. This whole deal is about putting a boneyard 5.9 in my street dart on the cheap. Being able to get a consistent, even if slow by some standards is the goal. If it runs 12.90s all day long with a 1.90 60 ft but repeats within .02 to .01 run after run, I will be a happy camper. That is all I need for the class I intend to run when I don't want to run the big dog. The car in my sig runs 8.70s at 152, and that is what eats up my budget. It ain't cheap! Plus it is getting hard at 67 years of age to put up with the heat and being a one man band running that car. I love it, but it is a fair amount of work and effort. So, a couple of times a year I want to throw the Blue street dart in the race trailer, leave the fire suit at home, no five point harness, no window net, just jump in and go!

Dart pics + others 085.jpg

P5060110.JPG

Wow, nice cars. Early As are light, I would disable the TTC circuit and let it rip.

-
Back