Stock looking small block aluminum heads?

-

TX9 340 Plymouth

Reaction score
I would like to find aluminum heads for my 408 that don’t look like a chunk of aluminum. Something like the 440 Source Stealth heads for a small block. This leads me to a silly question. Would it be possible to machine the ends of an Edelbrock aluminum head to make it look more like a stock LA head?

Some of the meat on the ends, is there to allow adequate strength for holding accessories in the end bolt holes. So, I doubt you could take it down that far in those areas.

I feel your pain. I never did like the look of billet aluminum on a classic car.
It has that "half finished part" look.

nm9stheham, what you say makes sense but the bosses on the aluminum Stealth heads don't seem to be a problem.

Attachments

• 440-source-stealth.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 241
ir3333, I found these pictures here on FABO. The aluminum heads are certainly less obvious when painted engine color but are still fairly easy to spot.

Attachments

• Stroker Engine (1).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Stroker Engine (2).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 242
nm9stheham, what you say makes sense but the bosses on the aluminum Stealth heads don't seem to be a problem.
Roger... that is why I said take care and don't take them down in that area. Water jacket is a whole 'nother thing ... being smaller in those Stealth heads doesn't mean they are in the same place in the Edelbrocks. I forgot to look this afternoon. The paint does good job! Just gotta treat AL right before painting (alodine or similar) or it will peel.

It is funny (to me) to call the AL heads ' half-finished'... they ARE finish milled, whereas the cast ones are just bare cast with bosses machined.....the cast one are the half-finished ones LOL

There were some aluminum w2 head made by batten I think that looked fairly stock. Otherwise the only other good flowing head that looks stock is the indy X but it's cast.

I stumbled across these stock looking aluminum 426 Hemi heads. So unless I find a set of those aluminum Batten heads I guess I'll just have to build a 440 or a 426 Hemi. LOL.

It really stinks that there is nothing similar out there for small blocks.

Attachments

• 61189.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 143
-
Back