Stock Manifolds

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
Hey folks I was wondering how to get all the ugly rust off of my stock manifolds! I have wire wheeled them but they are still rust colored. Acid dip?, what have you guys used to get them so nice looking?

JDB

shoot them down with Blaster "penetrating oil" let them set over night then shoot them down again :read2:
Wipe clean with a cloth and put them in a barbecue grill and bring them up to at least 300 degrees then a blower and a hand held wire brush did a good job for me, It works for paint and The rust seemed to fly away easy:happy10:
But not like a sand blaster can,:cheers: a sand blaster will make them shiny clean and all you have to do is drop them off and pick them up :-D

Let them cool and get after them, a mask should be worm so you don't breath in the rust 8)

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 134.jpg

One thing…… don't expect them to stay clean looking if you don't use a good hi temp cast iron color (or whatever color) paint.

If you just clean them and alap them on they will be brown in a week.

I paid 25 bucks to have them bead blasted. Looked like brand new. Brush painted rustoleum hi-temp barbeque black on them from a quart can. Didn't last a week. Today they look just like they did before I threw money at them. Good luck with yours

If time is on your side and you're cheap (like me!) soak them in vinegar. I bought gallons of vinegar (.99 ea), poured it in a big tupperware container and threw the manifolds in there, turning them over every week. Sat in there 4-5 weeks and came out looking nice, even freed up the rusted-shut heat-riser! I wire brushed them afterwards and coated them with Hirsch Hi-Temp Exhaust Paint.

Barracuda 001.jpg

Barracuda 117 (2).jpg

I sandblasted mine and then painted them with POR-20.

Once they were painted I used a propane garage heater to slowly cook or bake the paint on.

DSC07964.jpg

-
Back