stock or not leaf springs

-

two_70darts

Reaction score
I have a 70 340 with ss springs and it's too high for me. I called just suspension talked to one of their tech. guys he said yea we can get those for you we make them per cust. uh oh, so i was like great, i would like some stock replacements for my 340 he said sure 400.00 plus shipping 70$ cut to the chase received the springs they are both the same, not like other springs i've seen that are right and left one leaf different than the other besides the fact that i got ripped off on price will the springs being the exact same drasticaly alter my launch or road ride? any help or info would be much appriciated mopar for sure and always

First off welcome to FABO!

The ss springs were designed to absorb the motors torque so to prevent wheel hop therefore a better launch off the line. Since there is a extra leaf on the right side of the car.
Now that you have springs the same on each side you will lose a little on the launch thing but probably gain some on the road ride. You now have stock springs rather than race springs if you will. You got what you wanted.

I'm not a fan of s.s. springs,they make and a body sit way too high,for comparison i run the xhd's which have the same number of springs per side,with a set of drag shocks my duster hooks up great 60's in the 1.40 zone and the ride on the street is not bad either..

Do like I did just flip the front sppring mount. It will bring
it back down about 2in. It won't effect the pinion at all.
You do have to elongate the mounting holes to the body.
Did mine over 2 years ago, with no problems. You can see how
mine sits in my avatar.

Moving the spring eye up or down does effect the pinion angle, as does changing the height of the car. It may not change it enough to cause any problems but never the less it does change the angle.

Chuck

The only reason I said that was. On a thread a month or so
ago everybody was saying it changed it. I have run the car
this way for over 2 years with no problems. the car rides
well and launches great at the strip.

well what springs would be good for racing and street mostly street the SS or stockers with good shocks?

Racing= SS
Racing and Street= XHD
Street=XHD(Gives the car extra lift in the rear) or Stockers

Maybe.....maybe not sounds good to me LOL!

Flipping the front hangers to ride the SS springs higher in the chassis has the effect of basically cancelling out the ride height increase, so no pinion angle change from stock. Raising it 2" with the SS springs to start with as Chuck mentioned is what changes the pinion angle (from stock).

I like the way mine rides, looks and hooks with SS springs and Dakota truck shocks on flipped front hangars. Just a slight forward rake, basically stock ride height:

http://72.19.150.167/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_01.jpg
http://72.19.150.167/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_11.jpg

I was going to try flipping the front mount but won't that add positive angle to the pinion angle? It would seem to me it would cause some upward rotation on the differential. Now it might not matter if the angle of the driveshaft-pinion is still ok.

My concern is with the SS springs on the pinion has a positive angle instead of negative. I don't know what is was before with the stock springs unless I put them back on and measure it. I could try the flipping it and see what happens, as someone here said, "it's free, try it".

I was going to try flipping the front mount but won't that add positive angle to the pinion angle? It would seem to me it would cause some upward rotation on the differential. Now it might not matter if the angle of the driveshaft-pinion is still ok.

My concern is with the SS springs on the pinion has a positive angle instead of negative. I don't know what is was before with the stock springs unless I put them back on and measure it. I could try the flipping it and see what happens, as someone here said, "it's free, try it".

It may go out of spec on you. Just need to check it with an angle finder and if it is off shim it up. Can get the shims from Summit, Jegs, or Mancini.

It may go out of spec on you. Just need to check it with an angle finder and if it is off shim it up. Can get the shims from Summit, Jegs, or Mancini.

Well I haven't tried lowering it yet. I was running 1.5* on the drive shaft and 3.5* measured on the pinion measured at the plate for the snubber. As I understand it that gave me 1.5* pinion angle to start with. From what I have been reading street cars are normally set to zero when they are made and the mopar suspension book is calling for 3-5* negative. I put in two 4* shims and now measuring it in the same places I get 1.7* on the drive shaft and .8* on the snubber plate.

Racing= SS
Racing and Street= XHD
Street=XHD(Gives the car extra lift in the rear) or Stockers

Maybe.....maybe not sounds good to me LOL!

This should be a sticky.

How many times have we seen people buy SS springs only to regret it.

On a side not...... Someone on here is always willing to buy a low milage set of SS springs.

I put in my superstock springs and the back end raised up exactly 2 inches from where it was stock, so I'm thinking of using 2 inch lowering blocks....... this should get the pinion angles back to where they were. anybody have any thoughts on this??

Since you're talking leaf springs , my parts car has some leaf springs that are chromed and have 3 leaf one side 2 the other ,any clue as to what type they are ? They need a re-arch as they been sitting for years . What would they be good for , 1/4 mile ?
Think my driver Dart has the HD leaf springs 5 a side , launches well with no wheel hop

-
Back