Stock or Not?

-

BigRichieO

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the Fuel and Air Systems but thought it was more of a general question. Anyway, last night our car club went to a Senior Citizen Housing complex to show the residents our cars and I was talking to one of the a-body guys in our club. We were looking at my car and I was telling him about my carb problems, the conversation went on for a while and in the end he suggested that I just change out the carb. Not that my car is a perfect stock restoration numbers matching and all that jazz, but I tell him that I just want to keep the "stock" carb on the car, and he informs me that my carb was not stock for that year.

So here is my question, with the help of Burntorange70 and others in another post I figured out that I have a Carter AVS-4937S, so were these the stock carbs for a manual transmission / 340 cu. in. / Swinger in 1969? The difference he say is in the air feul mixture screws, he said on the '69's it should only have one (1) screw not the two that I have on mine?

DSC00533.jpg

mopar_logo_new2.jpg

The old cogger might be write. The factory specs I found for a 69 340 4 speed shows it should have a AVS-4611S what ever the hell that looks like. The AVS-4937 was spec'd out for the 1970 340 auto.

Terry

If I remember correctly, it is:

4612 for the automatic
4611 for the M/T in 1969

I'd go out to the garage and check, but it's raining too hard!

:-D It wasn't one of the senior citizens that was giving me a bad time it was a fellow club member. If it was one of the senior citizens I would taken his word for it and let it go, but it is a club member, and I'm trying to flex my Mopar knowledge muscle, but it looks like he is going to be right and I'm going to have to eat crow.:angry7:

I wonder if my car could have been a late build date and the factory ran out of the '69 AVS's and they threw a '70 AVS on it? Anyway, I knew you guy's would have an answer so I wanted to ask, not the answer that I wanted but as always an answer.

:-D It wasn't one of the senior citizens that was giving me a bad time it was a fellow club member. If it was one of the senior citizens I would taken his word for it and let it go, but it is a club member, and I'm trying to flex my Mopar knowledge muscle, but it looks like he is going to be right and I'm going to have to eat crow.:angry7:

I wonder if my car could have been a late build date and the factory ran out of the '69 AVS's and they threw a '70 AVS on it? Anyway, I knew you guy's would have an answer so I wanted to ask, not the answer that I wanted but as always an answer.

Yea right, go with the late run reason, your buddy can't dispute that. LOL

Still if yours is a California carb it will run lean. Easy way to tell is back out those adjust screws or try to anyway. There were stops installed so the screws would back out only so far. Rebuild instructions read "Do not attempt to remove the screws. Damage will result." It is possible to drill out those stops though.

On the 4612, there is only one screw for the adjustment, it is the one on yours that is up high, and in the center. That is a left hand thread air bleed adjustment. Turning it to the left will tighten it and decrease idle airflow, causing a richer idle mixture.

Turning it to the right will loosen it, and increase airflow, leaning out the idle mixture.

There is also a fuel bowl vent shown on your carb, on the passenger side, That open fitting would be connected to a charcoal cannister to capture fuel vapors.

The 1969 cars didn't have a charcoal cannister, the fuel bowl vent was on the driver's side, and integrated into the accelerater pump linkage. The vapors were simply vented to the air.

I would stick that carb on the shelf and replace it with a new Edelbrock AVS.

Big Rich!
The guy is right, dude. Thats not the right carb for a 69 340 4 speed, unfortunately.
69Swinger340391 has it right:
4612 for the automatic
4611 for the 4 speed in 1969

As far as original/stock etc, just make the damned car run right. Numbers come later as you stumble on the "correct" parts. Form FOLLOWS function.

If you need a picture of a 69 AVS, just ask. I have the original from my car sitting on a shelf (automatic girl trans car). I swapped it out for the Edelbrock last fall when I couldn't get my POS to run right, but it turned out to be the distributor. I'm just too lazy to swap it back over again!

Good Luck Richie-O!

George

-
Back